What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For fellow ampullaria lovers

Two of my N. ampullaria have outgrown the terrarium i had them in, and i moved them into a new 'greenroom' i've been working on.  They've also recently started putting out basal pitchers, so i took some photographs.  

This is one of the species that was featured in the Nat'l Geographic years ago that really got me excited about CPs at the start, so it has a special place in my heart.  So here are some photos for my fellow ampullaria lovers:

Speckled form:
20040530-CP-N.ampullaria%20(speckled).jpg

20040530-CP-N.ampullaria%20(speckled)-basal%20pitchers.jpg

Red CR9 clone:
20040530-CP-N.ampullaria%20CR9.jpg

20040530-CP-N.ampullaria%20CR9-pitchers.jpg

20040530-CP-N.ampullaria%20CR9-pitcher-front.jpg

20040530-CP-N.ampullaria%20CR9-pitcher-back.jpg

20040530-CP-N.ampullaria%20CR9-pitcher-side.jpg

Finally, my new little Tayeve N. ampullaria
20040605-CP-N.ampullaria%20Tayeve%202.jpg

20040605-CP-N.ampullaria%20Tayeve.jpg

those are some truely great picture and congrates on the recent growth of basal shoots. Your amps are very robust and healthy looking. I really love that red CR9, where did you get it? I'd like to get one of those some day when I have more room. Please excuse my grose ignorance but what is a Tayeve N. ampullaria?

I can't wait 'till my green amp start s basaling away. how long did you have your plant before it started to do that?

Thanks! I got the red from Tony last Fall (November). It was already a large plant.

The spotted was a cutting from a fellow NECPS member. It definitely grows faster than the red form.

I believe that Tayeve is a locale where unusually large-pitchered amps were found growing (that's what i could find online, anyway). Obviously i can't tell now how different it will be from the others.
smile.gif
Now i just need a green and i'll more or less have a complete collection (minus the REALLY expensive forms).

so its like a giant a form ? Where did you get this because I'd love to have a giant form of amp... How long have you had it? has it shown any signs of growing any pitchers soon?

Does anyone know where to get the "old school" form of Cantley's Red? This is before Rob released the CR9 clone. My kids knocked the plastic top off a tank in the basement and it bit it..
confused.gif

Joe

you might just have to find someone that grows it and ask/buy a cutting or something..... :-/

Judge for yourself link

Ouch Joe! That's tragic! I was a bit confused by the CR clones instead of 'Cantley's Red' when i was looking. I was told that many of the CR clones are superior (more red?) than the original Cantley's Red.

Oh wow I saw a picture of the Tayeve amp in the wild at thw wistuba site and they're absolutly crazy!!!! If your plant ever produces pitchers that lage it will be uite the site to see!!!! By the way how did you get a hold of one of those?

I too have been wanting an amp (tayeve) and insignis (tayeve). Both as far as I have found are only at Wistubas. Nobody else seems to carry the tayeve forms.

Joe

hey guess what? I was just at Dean Cooks site, and he has ampullaria tayeve!!!! I don't know how good it is but I'll ask and get back you to guys.

ok I asked him about his Tayeve's and this is the email replay (hes fast to reply I miht add

"The amp tayeve has a darker brownish leaf and is suppose to be the larger form. It hasn't proven anything thus far, however they are only 3" leafspan.

Dean"

Sorry Flip, if i had checked earlier i could have save you and Dean the trouble.  I bought the one i have from Dean and it arrived last week.  Also, did you not see the link i put to Wistuba's page? It's kinda funny because your next post you mention the same page, but it sounds like you found it independently.

Anyway, as you can see mine has no sign of making pitchers yet. It's look a little poorly, as it was a bit disturbed in shipping, but i'm sure it's going to pull through.

Thanks for the kind words Joe

heh Oh I think you misunderstood my posts, What I talked to dean about was how they are growing compared to the normal forms of amps and if they seem more reluctant to grow then the other amps he has them with. I did see that link and how they are huge forms of amp

sigh.... just another form of ampullari that I do desperatly want....
biggrin.gif

WOW! Nice Neps! The red one doesn`t have much of a lid does it?
smile_n_32.gif

Back