What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicalcarata forms

Hi everyone,

Malesiana is selling N. bicalcarata 'marudi' and 'sri aman'. I know there are some more forms on the market. I would be happy if somebody could link me to images of adult pitchers of the different forms, since the difference is not very clear (same link for both types) on the malesiana page, which seems to be updated and therefore closed at this moment.

Thanks! Volker

the marudi are the more desirible IMO they are the plants that form the tubby pitchers that are fat and aquat. Sri amen are the plants that porduce the pitchers that are more elongate. They are not as squat as the marudi, thier pitcher are more narrow not wide and squat like the marudi.

Thanks for the prompt answer! Sounds good, because I have some marudi's here. Still small though.

do your marudi's readily produce pitchers or does it have to be really really humid? I remember a member here had a bical that went into humidity shock or something became all necrotic from being exposed to lower humidity. I try any find the link so you can see. Its a very interesting thread ad a good read.

Thanks for the link, actually I even remember reading that.
Well, I have the marudi's only for a few months and opposite to other Nepenthes many of their pitchers said immediately 'good-bye'. I mean, they are growing and their young lifes are surely not endangered.
smile_m_32.gif

I am growing some indoors (no aircon) in closed zip-loc bags and they are pitchering fine.
All of them seem to be quite soft however, hopefully they will adapt. Although I am in the tropics, the recent months were extremely dry including the humidity. Now, since 3 weeks, we have one wet Typhoone chasing the next, so it should look better soon.
Together with the rafflesiana 'red squat' and 'giant' these seem to be the most humidity addicted lowlanders IMO. Maybe they are just not hardened off alltogether, yet.

yea, Plus I have this thought that since we like to grow all ourplant in the highest humidity we can possibly produce it kinda get the plants "addicted" to the high levels they are some what wussy plants as it were so when ever the humidity drops out of thier sweet spot they get mad and go necrotic! LOL just a idea of mine

If it comes to low humidity, just ask me, hehehe. Since I am trying to grow all my plants in the garden and our noon humidity becomes really low sometimes. Then add some strong winds and it becomes quite challenging.
Most Neps have no problems pitchering, but for some even if they produce a pitcher, it will be drying up once the next pitcher is produced.
I am conceptualizing a shade house right now, to get at least rid of some wind. If that doesn't work I have to sell my house and go into the forest or in the mountains  
smile_m_32.gif
But then, where do I do my groceries ?  
smile_h_32.gif

Hi all:

Since everybody is giving their opinion, i guess i am entitled to mine. Some Neps may be able to tolerate lower humidity levels, ie, ventricosa, alata, etc. Others, will not tolerate lower humidity ie, bicalcarata. That does not mean they are Wussies, it means that they are just not made to withstand lower humidity levels.

It is more like taking a fish out of the water and expect it to adjust to breathe air, because if it does not, it is Wussy. I guess some plants are just not meant to be grown under low humidity and bicalcarata is one of them.
smile_o_32.gif

Gus

Back