What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. 'allardii' - deformity

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AaronJ @ July 05 2004,1:39)]Can I also take it the lack of response means that not many have this hybrid?
Hi Aaron,

Nepenthes Hybrids are not that commen over here in Germany. Most of the growers with limited growth space concentrate on pure species. Of course the broad selection the Mansells offer is not available as well. Another reason is the easiness to get pure species. This was my last catch at a local garden center few weeks ago:

N_xiphioides_170604.jpg

Cheers Joachim

OMG!I believe this is the exact same plant that I'm trying to get help with on the ID forum!!

blandat_026.jpg

and another...
blandat_027.jpg

Looks VERY much the same to me, whaddaya say??

/Quensel

Joachim,

Thanks for the explanation.  Great find by the way.  I think I've pretty much found all there is to be found at local nurseries now unless some of the grower introduce something new!

Quensel,

I'm no ID expert but my instinct say's it's not the same hybrid.  Your has none of the speckling in the throat of the pitcher and the peristome appears quite different to me.  So does that actual shape in a way.

Some of the pros here could probably help you out.  Try starting a new thread asking for ID assistance and see what ideas come up.

Aaron.

OK, as promised some time back here is one of the first mature and fully coloured up pitchers from the N. 'Allardii'.  I suspect they will get even darker colouring in the summer months as day length is very short right now and I do have the plant positioned at the darker end of the glasshouse.  

This pitcher is small at just over 5" compared to one of the latest which is closer to 8".  The later ones are also showing much more of the veitchii flaring of the peristom.

NAllardiiMature.jpg

This pair are the newer larger pitchers:
NAllardiiMature2.jpg

Aaron.

Aaron,

Very nice. I would say it was worth the wait.

Cheers,

Joe

Aaron,
N. Allardii is one of those great old Nepenthes hybrids dating back to the 1890's. It is not in tissue culture, so propagation can only be done through cuttings.
Trent

Joe,
Definitely worth the wait.  I was a little let down when the first new pitchers started to form but after a few weeks of colouring up there's no more complaints.

Trent,
I did not know that it was such an old hybrid.  I have to say it is such a big, strong and robust hybrid.  Undoubtedly one of the fastest growing I have and given the conditions it was under prior to me getting my hands on it I'd say VERY tough as well.

Aaron.

Trent,

That was the way I thought it had to be. Aren't the rules bent in this area, though? I mean there are several clones of N. x coccinea, and Bruce Bednar told me the Aussies have "recreated" N. x Dicksoniana(sp). Can they do that
And on the flip side, can a hybrid from 150 years ago, keep making viable cuttings , which keep making viable cuttings indefinitely? Am I making sense with that question?

Cheers,

Joe

Hi joe, Aaron, and Everybody,
The fact that N. 'Allardii' has been around since the 1890's is a testament to it's toughness and vigor.
N. x'Coccinea' is a hybrid name-there are a number of clones, both male and female. The cross was originally made by James Taplin in the 1870's (as best I recall). Before the days of the International Registration Authority, naming a new man-made horticultural hybrid was up for grabs. Out of all the seedlings resulting from (mirabilis x hookeriana), those with nearly solid red pitchers were named N. xCoccinea. The green with red flecks were named N. xAtro-Sanguinea, and so on. Next year, when the same two plants bloomed again, the cross would be remade and a new batch of names were spun. Those nurseries had to keep their catalogs full of new names!
Others used the cultivar naming method: as an example, in France, Jarry Desloges crossed N. Tiveyi and N. Mixta. Out of all the seedlings, only the superior plants were named-they may have been the survivors, the most vigorous clones. Among them were N. 'Deslogesii', N. 'Gamerii', N. 'Remilliensis', N. 'Vallierae'. Basically, this is the system used today, except the IRA will not accept the pseudo-scientific names so popular back then. In 1950 when George Pring at the Missouri Botanical Garden named his cultivars, he used peoples names, etc. He had around 8 to ten different cultivars out of that one crossing of N. Chelsonii x N. intermedia. N. 'St. Louis', N. 'Lt. Bradford Pring', N. 'Henry Shaw', N. 'Dr. D.C. Fairburn'.
This is actually the proper way to register and name cultivars.
As for the Dicksoniana: it's really not the right way to do things, but it is based upon the naming procedures used by orchid breeders. Orchid hybrid naming has its own set of rules, all other plants adhere to the methodology described by the IRA rules. See the ICPS website for the details.
As for viability of cuttings- there's still plenty of Victorian hybrids around: N. Mixta, N. Mastersiana, N. Dyeriana, N. Morganiana, N. Deslogesii, N. Wrigleyana. These are great hybrids, easy to grow, and were made with species stock collected back in the days when collectors risked disease and head hunters to bring back those rare and valued plants.
Trent

Reviving an old post for a quick related question!

Have done a bit of a search but could not find what I was looking for.

I'm sure someone had said in the past that the clone/s of N. 'Allardii' were only one sex? Does anyone recall this?

My Allardii is beginning to flower and it looks like a female.

Aaron.

Back