What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. 'allardii' - deformity

Some may recall my post about finding this large N. ‘Allardii’ at a local nursery about 5 weeks ago.

It was in a pretty poor state and although still producing leaves had not pitchered for some time.

It has since taken off an is producing loads of new leaves at a very rapid rate.  There are about 6-8 pitchers forming from 3x growing points.  The largest of which was already partially formed when I got it (I suspect from before it arrived at the nursery) but appears to have become dormant until it was placed in my more preferential conditions.

Anyway... so the pitcher is now swelling again but I just noticed its lid is basically non-existent.  I am guessing it sustained just a bit to much damage and was unable to form.

All of the newly formed pitchers are fine.

N_allardii_Deformed_Pitcher.jpg

Aaron.

This also happen to a couple of my new plants. I think it is happening because they are still getting use to your growing conditions.

ID,

Possibly, though as I mentioned, there are 6-8 new healthy pitchers forming (i.e. since in my care) as opposed to the deformed one which was already partially formed when I got the plant.

I've had it about 5 weeks (+/- a week).  It took a few weeks before the leaf growth accelerated.  Each of the 3 growing tips has now thrown 3+ new leaves and the oldest of the new leaves are now the ones pitchering.

Again, this pitcher was already partially formed when I go the plant.

It did look a bit funny even when I got it but its only been since it has started to swell (I was not expecting this to happen) that the damaged lid became apparent.

Personally I'd be worried if you were getting damage that extreme from your new plants.  Certainly nothing I've seen before but how's your humidity?

Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

this kind of damage is caused by low humidity and hot temperatures during pitcher developement (even at a small stage). The lid and the peristome are the first parts to be damaged. So the next pitchers fully developed under your regime should be OK.

Cheers Joachim

That makes sense Joachim.  Also makes sense in it's fast turn around over the last 5 weeks as they are a hardy plant and my temp range/humidity is about ideal (intermediate temps/humidity 70%+).

I'm not sure how long this plant was at the retail nursery but my guess is that it was there through at least the tail end of the summer.  Although protected from the direct sun it would have copped some very hot, dry and windy weather.

I honestly though that the pitcher bud in question was not viable (as the rest were) but it must have had enough kick left in it to restart once in my glasshouse.  

I recently saw one with nice mature pitchers and it looked awesome so I am hoping the 6-8 new pitchers (all from new leaves) will be accordingly nice and healthy.

At the current rate I'd hope to see some opening in the next few weeks so I'll post back for a comparison.

Aaron.

I also think its due to the fact the plant is getting used to the new growing environment. I have a N rafflesiana var. elongota do this; form a pitcher with a shrunken lid. It was the first picther that the plant grew whilst in my care. the second pitcher after that was noramal and infact the lid was, what seemed, xtra large.

UPDATE:

Here's the deformed pitcher a bit more developed:

allardiiDeformedPitcher.jpg

I've just had the next pitcher after that deformed one start to open.  It's about 14cm (5.5") at this stage but obviously a bit more to go:

N.jpg

The plant has 3x growing points that are all producing new leaves at the same pace.  There are now up around 8-10 pitcher swelling at the same time so I can't wait to see how it looks in a few weeks with all the new pitchers fully opened.

AllardiiGrowingTips.jpg

AllardiiPlant.jpg

Aaron.

Hi aaron,

This is a similar case to a nep hybrid maxima x spathulata that i got when it was initially growing inside a greenhouse. I transferred it outside when I first got it and it took it 8 months to adjust and start growing again. The first pitcher it produced was a pitcher without a lid and then following that was four flower spikes on two vining stems that are still producing pollen, outside. It has also produced a multitude of pitchers as can be seen by the swelling and seems to be growing vigorously now due to alot of new stems and leaves growing at the base of the plant.

Christian

Hi Aaron
It sure looks healthy.

Bye for now Julian

First Fully opened pitcher:

NallardiiFullPitcher.jpg

It's the same pitcher as showen the other day and is about 18cm (7") tip to tip.

Aaron.

Hi there, the same sort of thing happened to my reinwardtiana (sp?), but I don't think it's humidity for me....I have mine in a large tank with really high humidity....can the same thing happen if it's too hot, regardless of humidity? That could be it, as my tank is rather warm...

I had a nep that made the lidless traps, but it was a genetic mutant. It divided into like 10 growth points, and finally stopped growing entirely. I hope you don't have anything like this:

N_x_Home_Depot4.sized.jpg

Capslock

Hi Capslock
Wow ive got the same one bit of a mutant,growth points all over the place.
unkn1.jpg

unkn2.jpg

Bye for now julian

Hey julian,

Where'd you get yours? I got mine at Home Depot. I realized it was taking valuable space from a real nep, so I ditched mine. Plus, we shouldn't be encouraging the propagation of such junk.

Capslock

Thjat is just too freeky! I wouldn`t have the heart to throw it away though!
confused.gif

I'm sorry but I just had to laugh.
laugh.gif
Those are some butt ugly pitchers, Capslock. The word "mutant" usually sparks a frenzy of interest around here but I think that plant does go a bit far. It is too bad that it was so genetically screwed up and being sold to the public.

I can think of a good cultivar name for it though...but I won't post it.
smile_m_32.gif

Nepenthes cultivar FUBAR
smile_n_32.gif

Sure are freaky Caps & Julian.

On the Allardii issue... who else has this hybrid? I ask as the very few pictures I could fing on the web showed a striped peristome, where as mine is all green at this stage.

Any thoughts?

Aaron.

Hi Guys
It was free but its a poor grower,i just cant through it out it a nep and that would be a sin
smile_h_32.gif

Capslock
Im in the UK and i found this poor thing in a little gardencentre
in Cadnam,Hampshire. Im hoping its Mutant gene is going to kick in and produce a 50 cm upper pitcher (dream on ehh).

Bye for now julian

Well, time and patience answered my question about the peristome colour as they are now becoming darker and more striped as the pitchers age.  Will post a picture once they look like they have fully coloured up.

Can I also take it the lack of response means that not many have this hybrid?

Aaron.

Back