What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice growing Tony! I also note several orchids infiltrating the space around rajah-looks like a Dendrobium and a couple of things with squat pseudobulbs?
Josh, I've always wanted to make the hybrid of echinostoma x ramispina., but ramispina is not a natural for Florida. However, we've got a really nice echinostoma with nearly solid red pitchers with striped peristome. Trick is getting it to bloom!
As for the mystery hybrid-if it's a natural hybrid I would have to agree with the sanguinea x macfarlanei.

Trent

Trent, a little late there...
smile_n_32.gif
But Tony! Man alive, wonderful pics and plants! You know, I order from you a lot, let's strike a deal on that rajah!
smile.gif
I also would like to know how big the pot is...

The pot the N. rajah is in is a 1 gallon nursuury grade pot...same thing I put mine in.

Wowie!

That Rajah thingie sure is purdy!
Can't wait for mine to come...

Thanks Dustin! From what I've seen/heard, isn't that about the size of a "normal" large can of ice cream?
smile_n_32.gif

Um I have no idea...never heard that before.
confused.gif

Well,
Let me put it this way... Is the pot ~12" wide and ~8" tall? I know it may be a little different, but maybe somebody can relate...
confused.gif

Thanks for that pic Tony.  Looks fantastick.

I now see why everyone commented on how sparse my glasshouse looked as you have so much packed in there!  I'll have to get ordering again as I don't know if I can just wait for what I have not to fill it.

Question:  I notice a lot of water on the plants in that wide shot.  Are the plants always that wet or was that soon after watering?

Thanks,

Aaron.

Not 12 inches....mine is more like 9 inches dia. and 12 in. deep....somewhat similar to what you are thinking of.

Nine wide, 12 deep...That's perfect. Where do you get them like that? The gallon ones I see are the flimsier, kind.

Joe

Joe, check out Wal Mart, they have a nice size for $1.97 which is just about that size, I have my enormous N. eustachya and N. truncata potted in them. I pull the "drain tray" off cos I want them to drain freely.

Trent, I have a ramispina about 60 cm tall now and the lights were all replaced today so in a couple weeks, perhaps it'll flower and we can put these two together! The fusca recently flowered when only a few of the lights were replaced.

I just go to Timmy's (local nursury guy) he and I are good friends and he says take what I want...so I have alot of freebie pots that would be $$$$ if you were to buy them.

Mini Ruler!! you guys are cruel :p

Elgecko,
O humm The light is pretty bright. During the Winter there is a 30% shade cloth over the plants only during the noon hours. During the Summer it is about 60-70% shade cloth.

Josh,
I would have to take a closer look but if I recall it is in the same size pot as the cobra lily. It is one of those black 1gallon nursery containers (actual size is 3/4 gallon go figure). 6" diameter and about 12" deep or something like that.

I have 3 of those hybrid plants. So either the average is about 25% or my figure is way off because of my small sample size. Rob would probably have a more accurate number.

Trent,
Yes there are a couple Cirrhopetalum in there.

Aaron,
The sprinklers had just turned off. During the Summer they get watered every morning. Some days it is just a quick sprinkle and other days it is a longer soaking. I also wouldn't recommend you pack em in like that LOL.
Tony

Josh,

The % of hybrids we sent out was high in the early days as they grew faster than the true species so they hit thge market fisrt before we realised that they weren't all pure N. jac. The TC clones are growing up in the nursery now and were waiting to find out what % of those (if any) are black. We have about 60 clones to be on the safe side.

Interestingly, some of the N. izumiae clones appear to be hybrids too which is one reason why we are not releasing them yet - need to be sure!

Okie.. I measured my '1gallon' nursery pot.

6" diameter and 7" deep to the rim so figure on 6-6.5" depth on the mix. So far this is the biggest size pot I have used. The N. rajah is pushing it on this pot though and could stand to use a larger size now. I have held off because of my limited space and the plant is still growing in diameter.

I prefer narrow and deep vs shallow and wide. I can squeeze more plants on the bench that way
smile_n_32.gif
Deep pots actually drain better and with frequent watering and a nice 'chunky' mix plenty of air makes it down to the roots. My biggest issue is that some plants make such a carpet of leaves in a tight rosette that they cover the surface of the pot and not enough water from the sprinkler system gets to the soil. Hence that lovely supersize plastic cup catching water.. I can give these problem plants a shot of water if I catch it.

Tony

Hi Tony.

WOW!!!! Nice photos. My plants don't look quite like that yet. hehe. So that's what the N.veitchii highland looks like. Very Nice. I managed to get my photos working now. Let me know if they stay on. Hehehe.

Christian

Hi Christian,
The N. veitchii peristome opens up greenish and will turn golden yellow and then as it ages longer will usually also get a red blush on it. This clone also has the red stripes but this is not a typical trait in my experience.

BTW Rob,
This is the one seedling out off all you sent me that came out striped.

Tony

So that's what a 1 gallon pot is!
smile_n_32.gif
I still can't get over the plants, absolutely amazing!

Rob: How about intentionally releasing that izumiae x jac hybrid?! I know at least one person would buy it...
smile.gif

Tony,

The veitchii highland with a striped peristome looks great. Wish I had got one of those. =).

And, wow, your diatas 'meadow form' looks completely different from mine! How big is that thing? I'll attach a picture later today if I have time (final today, flying tomorrow).

And btw, are you gonna tell us what that hybrid is? Or just let us keep guessing and making us look like fools. ;->. My guess is N. x trusmadiensis (sp).

Back