What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grafting

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Who of you has done grafting with Neps and what kind of out come did it have or does it work?

Joe

Hey Joe, Grafting Nepenthes is possible and it has been done. Cliff Dodd wrote an article on grafting in the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter in 1990.

Here is the refrence:
Cliff Dodd (1990) Grafting of Nepenthes CPN 19(3-4):103-105.
Keywords:  cultivation: Nepenthes
Species:  Nepenthes rafflesiana, mixta, alata, fusca, reinwardtiana, alata, dyeriana, rajah
Notes:  1 reference, 1 drawing, 2 b&w photos

Amori played around with a few plants here and had mixed results. You may be able to get this copy of CPN through an interlibrary loan. I have it at work, but I am at home right now, its been a while since I read the article, but the subject of grafting comes up on a pretty regular basis.

If I had the time, I'd like to mess around with it a bit more... Give it a try!

Steve

Thanks Steve,
Problem is 1) I have only 5 plants; which I adore. 2) I am pretty skilled with it as far as cactus goes, but I imagine Neps are a different lot. I killed many a catus to finally succeed on first tries now. I don't want to do that with my Neps.
I was also wondering if they maybe could be grafted to totally a different climber/vine? Like a grapevine just as an example.

Joe

Nope,usualy you can only graft between plants of the same genera,sometimes between different genera,and with only ONE exeption you can`t graft between different familys(the exeption is between red clover and sunflower wich has been done successfully).

Back