What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too tall...

As many of you have seen, I have an n. coccinea, my very first carnivorous plant since last year. Its gotten ALOT bigger and now its practicly hitting the roof of my shed. What shoul i do? I tried leaving it alone to see what happens but she´s getting burned! Weird leaves are sprouting because of this and now that summer is here i bet its gonna burn even more! What should I do?

Erick

Chop it back! Make cuttings! Trade them for new neps!

Capslock

Isn´t there another way? I´m usually bad with cuttings
smile_h_32.gif
And if I´d cut it down, that would be enough cuttings for an entire state! lol Nah I´m just kidding
smile_n_32.gif
But i could fairly divide many. And If I trim it, will it die?
smile_o_32.gif

I would recommend that if you cut it back you don't leave the bottom section without any leaves. If it has basal shoots started you could cut it back further though.

Only other things I can think of are letting it vine droop sideways.. or get a taller shed.
Tony

The plant does have basal shoots, lots of em.

Ok. Here´s the pic. If you guys need anything else just ask.
confused.gif
My%20Pictures0007.jpg

Wow. How big a pot does a plant that size need?

how come I don't see any picthers?
smile_m_32.gif

That is huge though, I say let it take ver the entire shed.....

Ha! what are you? blind?! lol It had 8 or 10 upper pitchers, they just love hiding behind leaves. Ummmm, I´ve gotta find all of those pictures...dunno where I put them. I´ll post them as sonn as I find them, they are tons and tons of pics of my precoius cocinea jejejeje
smile_n_32.gif

I agree with Tony, you need to either pull those vines down sidways or chop that baby! From what I can see in you rpicture, I would have no hesitation in chopping. Cut the main vines off and practice propigation, all those basals will happily take over.

Steve

I really have nothing to say...I just realized if I reply to this thread, I have the top four replies in order of threads, lol.
Definitely whack away. You will get great experience in making cuttings and that will also enable you to trade for other things.

Joe

Hey everyone, I decided to trim her but I'm not to exited. I'm really gonna miss her tall tall length and wide stem....or what'cha-ma call it?.... Anyways, I'm not going to do it, yet, cuz I'm gonna go thru some preparations for trading and I need to find boxes to put them. I think I'm going to go with 4 cuttings or so.Also I'm gonna ask a buddy of mine to come over my house to help me with the plant. Mindmaze, he's an expert on cuttings
smile_n_32.gif
And I'm gonna need some mula for the shipping too jejejeje. Too bad 4 mom
smile_m_32.gif
I've done cuttings and they haven't actually progressed...
smile_h_32.gif
So I rather just send the cuttings freshly cutted in some damp paper towel inside a ziplock. Wish me luck. If any advise, please, don't hesitate to scream
smile_m_32.gif
I'm just an amateur.

Cheers,
Erick

Ja! Finally! Someone who can spot them!
smile_n_32.gif

Back