What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity and temp

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
If humidity is optimal, how hot is too hot?

Say humidity is 85-90%+. Would 110-115 deg.F. be too hot?

Joe

For what nep? They're different, but that sounds hot.

Capslock

Like merrilliana, bical, northiana, campXveitchii, albo-margXveitchii, sumatrana.
Actually those specifically.

As a constant day temp, not just a flux or now and then. I was thinking of moving them outside, I can maintain the humidity, but I used my temp gauge and it showed that its gonna be around that during light hours. Down to 75-90deg.F. at night. The 110-115 is a highend likely possibility on hot days.

What do you think
Joe

I think when you start going over mid90's for even the most heat loving lowland you will start causing damage to the plants. Air movement will also play a factor however.

btw your humidity was 44% today at 5pm with a temperature of 81
smile_m_32.gif
(I couldn't resist)

yeah yeah, I know.
smile_m_32.gif

I thought so, but had heard of some "ultralowlands" tolerating intense heat so I thought I'd ask. I was thinking of putting up this little PVC cage and sheeting it in with plastic, but on a seperate day I had brought my chamber out and in about 2mins. it rose to 110deg.F. and it was 90something outside. My chamber doesn't have much circulation or escape for heat but I figured it would give me an idea of temp inside.

Joe

Temps are that high way up there in Nebraska?

way up in Nebraska? im quite a bit north of there and starting about the 4th of July it hits 100 up here. cools down at night to around 70-75except for about 2 weeks the end of July/begining of August where its 100-110 during most days and cools off to around 90-95 at night. personally i learned to sleep all year round in a second story room that had poor heat in the winter and NO air conditioning in the summer. i would rather sleep in the heat and sleep in rather than sleep down on the air conditioned main floor and be woke up at 6 am
smile_n_32.gif
sleeping in 95 plus heat was no problem as long as i had a fan blowing air across my face. i just got used to it. my fiance on the other hand cant sleep if the air temp is above 85. thank god for central air.

Rattler

I was just up there 2 weeks ago and it was down into the high 50`s at night and low 80`s in the day!

You were in NE? Where at?
Yes, it gets pretty darn warm. Right now it is unseasonable low though. Its like 75-80 in the day and 65 at night but normally we are in the 90s by now. Humidity gets pretty high too (Quiet, Tony
laugh.gif
). As far as 110degF. I said above, that was inside a terrarium sitting in direct sun.

Joe

Pondboy, where you live at, that NE is "way up there"?

Thats sounds a bit too warm to me myself. Down at Mike Catalani's CPJungle, he said generally you shouldn't breach 100F with lowlanders at all, just 85-95 is ideal with high humidity 70% and higher, the higher the better. Try to think sauna conditions.

I was in omaha I live in Mo.

Based on experience, keep those temperatures below 95 F even for lowlanders. They will tolerate a short stint up to 100 F, but they will stress if it becomes a daily thing.

Trent

Mike Catalani's advice sounds like a great rule of thumb. The 110-115 is extremely rare in these parts(I am in Lincoln, NE, about 50 miles from Superimposed). It should get around 100 sometime this Summer. I tried to golf(walking) a few back in 107 degrees F and got a nice case of heat stroke, quitting after nine holes.
Joe, don't put the plants out yet. I was listening to the radio this morning and they said tonight's low was going to be ...48!!

Joe

Joe, the 110-115 is inside a chamber. I didn't mean our outside temp. but yes it makes it to 100+, I don't think I've seen 110deg. outside temp here. I've had heat strok when I played football when I was younger. None of my Neps are gonna go outside.

Joe

Ohhhhhhh, my bad. Yeah if the chamber is outside, 100 F outdoor temp makes small greenhouse temp astronomical w/o some kind of cooling or good air movement. You would walk in and go
smile_t_32.gif

Joe

I remember back in the good old days when I lived in Altus OK temps went to 130+ without heat index once! Wasn`t humid there though and we had a nice breeze all summer long.

hi superimposed,

great question, I've often wondered what the answer is myself.

Christian

Back