What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. northiana

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
My new northiana came with 2 rossettes same age. 1 is growing normally and the other seems to be dieing. The tip of the one is drying up and turning brown-black, and moving down the stem. The other is adjusting and unfurling a new leaf with no problem.

Should I be concerned? I don't know if there is actually 2 plants or just 2 growing tips.

Joe

Most certainly cut off the blackened/deformed portion and if you're very concerned I would also cut the sickly stem off at soil level and pot it up seperately. Don't disturb the better growing rosette but keep an eye on it for similar signs.

As for an explanation to why this happens one thought I have is: Do you mist your plants a lot? If so do your best to avoid soaking the actual growing tip and concentrate on the fully unfurled leaves. I like to soak them good but I have had small plants rot or grow deformed from misting the unfurling leaf too much. Nowadays if I mist a small plant and get a lot of water in the tip I will blow the excess water out of the opening leaf and no more growing tips rot. This isn't so important in my highland chamber where the air is constantly swirling standing water dries out in an hour or so. But in a hot lowland tank with no real air circulation, high heat and bright lighting the little growing tip boils for several days in those seemingly harmless few droplets of water til they finally evaporate. And if you mist it again, the whole ordeal starts over.

The blackening could also be a pathogen, which I'm not too knowledgeable of fighting because if any of my new plants show signs of disease - out they go! I don't wanna risk trying to fight some potential collection destroying disease on one new plant. In your case maybe only one stem, better to loose one than both! Can you post a photo for us to see what kind of blackening you're getting?

I am intent on getting a digicam, but don't have one yet. I refuse to take regular pics cause I always f*** them up and don't know it till after I pay to get them developed. NO MORE!
mad.gif

Anyways, I repotted the northiana and low-and-behold there are 2 plants in the pot. Both have very healthy root systems, just too crowded for them. I seperated them into 2 pots and I think they will do very well now. I realised that the tip that was dieing had a leaf from the other plant drapped on it and it was hold a couple droplets between them.
Now I have something to trade in a couple months or so.  
smile.gif

Thanks Josh
Joe

ha!
laugh.gif
I have a digital camera for the same reasons! Only one time in all the years I've photographed metal concerts did an entire roll work out. The rest of the time it's like 3 out of 24...!

Anyway, hopefully everything will go well with your 2 N. northianas!

Do I have to worry about misting my outdoor Neps too much?
confused.gif

I wouldn't think so since air movement is good I imagine.

Joe

No, likely this is primarilly a terrraium only problem spured by high humidity and no air movement, where the misted water does not evaporate.

Outside, the air is not static and spilled water on your patio or sidewalk likely dries up in an hour or less on an average day. In a sealed terrarium, it could be days before that same amount of water evaporates.

Back