What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventricosa - leaf & pitcher size

The humble N. ventricosa....

Just wondering what is the maximum leaf length and pitcher size that people have experienced with their own plants (or have seen)?

Although it is Winter here and things are a bit slow I am seeing some big increases in leaf and pitcher size at the momment and am just curious as to what the possibilities are.

As you can see I am getting pitchers up around the 10-14cm (4"-5.5") mark.  The one in the picture is about 12cm but the camera angle is funny making it appear bigger. Leaves are now getting over 25cm (10").

Vent_Pitcher_Size.jpg

How much bigger do you think I can expect them to reach given optimum conditions?

Aaron.

Here's my ventricosa on my bedroom windowsill...
P6090088.jpg

The leaves are about 4 inches, and for some reason the pitchers seem to be getting smaller though
smile_h_32.gif
. Since the tendril is attached to the back may be it's and intermediate and is starting to climb.

Thansk Spec.

Would not mind seeing mine get to 7".  Looks like I'll get there so long as the increases continue.

It's not the only Nep that I am experiencing this with right now (most are increasing in size leaf by leaf and pitcher by pitcher).  It was more that in my limited experience I had not seen any Vents much bigger than mine.

Will be intersting to hear what others have achieved.

Aaron.

I noticed the pitcher buds hardly inflate at all if they dont grasp something. if they dont grasp something I get no pitcher from the tendril usually, but if I do I get a wimpy pitcher under 2 inches tall. When they do grasp something I get the larger pitchers (5 inches)

Back