What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.bicalcarata red x orange hybrid pitcher

Hi everyone,

I have recently learnt that my nepenthes didn't succumb to black spot, I discovered that they were nectar glands. hehe.
smile_l_32.gif
. Thanks to some helpful individuals.  Shows how much I don't know...yet.
It has thrived in a lowland tank setup. I am moving this lowland nepenthes to its own enclosure as it is outgrowing the tank very quickly and producing very large pitchers. Before it was moved I used four fluoros to grow it. I would like to know wether this plant can still grow + pitcher just as good under two fluoros (one being a sylvania growlux and the other a powerglo and with 80% humiditiy all round?

N. bicalcarata pitcher
nbicalcarata.jpg

Thanks Christian

In short, no, most likely the plant will suffer.

If it is used to receiving aproximately 12,000 lumens of light (using an average of 3,000 lumens per tube) and you go down to half that, the plant will likely languish or become etoliated (thin, soft leaves and small pitchers, elongated internodes) and maybe cease pitchering. Twin tube strip lights are cheap Wal mart has a setup for $6.95 plus another $9.25 for 6500 K daylight tubes you'l be all set. But as your plant gets bigger (on towards half and full grown size) you'l need to add even more light to supply it with the necessary light to keep it alive and happy.

Yeah, what Josh said! But I wanted to jump in and say... NICE PLANT!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Capslock

That is an AMAZING plant and picture! How big is the pitcher and what camera do you use??

-Ben

I like your N.bicalcarata.

Hi Josh,

So I better put those four flouro tubes in there. And keep adding as it grows. Since I live in Australia and it is rather cold (winter now), how can one maintain the humidity and temperature outside in an enclosure for this plant? Would double insulation, triple insulation and a mini greenhouse inside of another green house and maybe one more keep the temperature in? And are there such things as a solar powered heat mat?

Christian

Hi Capslock,

Thanks mate!

Christian

hi sharp229,

I use a pentax optio pro camera on its flower setting. I'm amazed at all the detail it captures and how close you can actually take the photo. I'm right into the cameras too and if you are thinking of getting one pm me and I'll explain all the fine detail.

Christian

hi,

Thanks starman. I feel quite proud of this pitcher. Hope it doesn't die on me after changing its enclosure.

Christian

Well, Christian:

This is where i would like to help you mate!. However, growing a lowland in Melbourne is not the easiest thing to do. I know it is possible, because i have spoken to some people who actually grow this plant, but it won't be cheap!. You will need to maintain the temperature at night no lower than 21-22 degree Celsius. You will have to use polysterene sheets all around your tank and keep the water heater going, if that's what you use.
Other people use heating mats underneath the pot to keep them warm at night.

Good luck

Gus

I will have to let Gus help you on the climate cos I live in MN! But my trick is to grow the lowland plants in the warmest part of my house. Which happens to be where the dining room table used to be. Now I don't have a dinner table but 2 large neps tanks instead!
biggrin.gif

I personally would go with the electric heat mats underneath the terrarium if relocating in the warmest part of your house is not an option or if the warmest part of your house is not at least 70*F at night. Ive heard bad things about aquarium heaters. I've never used one again after returning home from an xmas party to find my natural aquarium full of dwarf cichlids and banjo catfish boiled to death from an aquarium heater that stuck on!

hi swords,

Hehe. tell me about it. I have a glass enclosure of some kind on nearly every table too. Although the plants are a great talking point. Especially the most unusual kinds of neps.
What was your neps doing in the freshwater aquarium? ANd I always turn the power off before I stick my hand in to do any changes or checks.
What happened to the aquarium heater?

Christian

hey pondboy,

thanks mate.

Christian

Back