What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am currently compling a list of intermediate neps(or ones that can grow as intermediates) that will grow well in my room temp. grow chamber.
The ones I am already growing are:

N. ampullaria "speckled"
N. khasiana
N. alata "highland spotted"
2- N. ventricosa
N. gracilis
N. sanguinea "orange"
N. albomarginata "red speckled"

I looked on the nepenthes univ. site and found the following that might do well(based on what I read there):

N. argentii
N. burkeii
N. maxima
N. neoguinensis
N. pilosa
N. rafflesiana
N. truncata
N. veitchii
N. X trichocarpa

Does anyone know of any more that would do well(incl. hybrids)?

My experience is that a LOT of neps will grow in your conditions. And hybrids often exhibit more hardiness than either parent, so there are tons of hybrids that will work. I'm growing N. ventricosa x aristolochioides in room temperatures very successfully, for example. I think the list of neps that won't work is a smaller one. Just ultrahighlanders and serious lowlanders.

Capslock

yeah, I figured that alot of hybrids might work, b/c of the whole "hybrid vigor" thing.
smile.gif
Are there any general guidelines for what might work, since there are massive numbers of hybrids? Like if one parent grows @ room temp, will the hybrid grow at room temp, etc.

I would guess that the best to stay away from is hybrids with 2 ultrahighland or 2 ultralowland parents. Perhaps though the hardiest would be a
ultrahigh X ultralow hybrid.
I don't know though just guessing

Yeah, pretty much if one parent would work, the hybrid will work. I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but that's pretty much the way it goes, from my experience. I've just rooted a cutting of N. burkei x villosa, and that should be a good test-bed for the theory. N. villosa is a very hard to grow ultrahighlander, but N. burkei is like a ventricosa.

Capslock

ok thanks.
smile.gif
Also I'm not sure what elevation goes with each category.
confused.gif

Anything under 1000m is considered lowland, above highland. That right there should tell you something... little in nature is very concrete to draw a line like that. Some plants have a very narrow elevation range while others have a fairly broad range. I look to this type of information to determine how well a plant tolerates different temperatures. I think Jeff Shafer at Plantswithattitude.com lists the plants normal altitude range with each description. I am not aware of a single list though that ranks each species. There really are only a few that I would consider 'ultra' lowland/highland so the designation as simply lowland or highland is usually sufficient to give an indication on the plants preferences. Barring the few exceptions, from my experience lowland plants can deal with cool nights if the days are nice and warm and highland plants can deal with warm days if the nights are nice and cool. So if you have decent warm days (82-85) and nice cool nights (58-60)you can grow a large variety of Nepenthes all together.
Tony

Thanks for clearing the elevation thing up for me!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ June 22 2004,8:25)]Barring the few exceptions, from my experience lowland plants can deal with cool nights if the days are nice and warm and highland plants can deal with warm days if the nights are nice and cool. So if you have decent warm days (82-85) and nice cool nights (58-60)you can grow a large variety of Nepenthes all together.
The average temp year round in my house is about 70-72F, right in the middle of the range you mention. So does that mean I can grow about anything, or do most neps actually need a drop in temperature at night to do well?

Lowland don't need a drop in temperature, highland do. Does your house warm up during the day? If it is a steady 70-72 all day and night most of the year then it is on the cool side for lowland. And not cool enough for highland (regardless if it warms up during the day).

In the summer, it is currently set for 74 day and night. In the winter it is usually about 68-70 in the day and a few degrees cooler at night.(these temps can be remedied somewhat, however, if needbe, via a wonderful invention called a thermostat.
biggrin.gif
) Also, if I keep the door closed, the room I have my plants in tends to be a few degrees warmer in the summer and a few degrees cooler in the winter(most likely because the room has 3 outside walls) than the hall where the thermostat is. That may help with temperature regulation some. So yes, the temperature does fluctuate some.

Back