What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New baby arrives

Well, the I finally went and bought the N. tobaica that I've ben wanting for like the last 2 weeks.
The store had damaged it a little, but I think it's still in pretty good shape.

Here's the whole plant.
Tobaica_001.jpg

And here's a crappy pic of a XXL pitcher!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Tobaica_002.jpg

Hope you liked em, and hope it really IS a tobaica
smile.gif

/Quensel

Looks to me like the ventricosa x khasiana that is going around as tobaica. I think I read on of Trent's old post that said it was tobaica x ventricosa or tobaica x khasiana(I can't remember-Trent?). That would make more sense, at least.
How does the Dutch nursery get these so messed up?

Joe

It's the dutch hybrid, not true tobaica.
that clone grows up to produce some really attractive upper pitchers. No doubt there is some ventricosa in its 'blood'.
Joe, I have a friend who is very big into Nep tc, who happens to know the owner of that big Dutch Nursery. Recently he told me that they do indeed name the plants after the seed bearer. If you see their official listing, as an example, they call N. 'Miranda' by the name of N. maxima "Miranda". Looking at N. Miranda you know it is not a pure N. maxima. Almost without a doubt it is N.maxima x N. Mixta. Please check out pictures of the Japanese hybrid N. Oiso. It is the same cross, and looks just like a Miranda.
That big Dutch nursery would not call the plant N. tobaica unless N. tobaica is somewhere in its background. Perhaps they have mislabelled a khasiana as tobaica-who knows? But that plant does not look like N. emmarene-a true hybrid of khasiana x ventricosa-another to reason to suspect any claims as to exactly what the parentage may be.
Again, Nepenthes hybrid nomenclature is still a mess!

Trent

Wow... so it isn't a pure-blood Tobaica...
smile_h_32.gif

Sad to hear, but then what is it?
Khasiana? Tobaica? Ventricosa? some hybrid thereof, it would seem, but which?
Anyone know, I'd really appreciate any help, as I'd like all my neps correctly tagged up....

Thanks for the replies /Quensel.

I think Trent is alluding(sp?) to the plant being tobaica x ventricosa, which would make some sense(unless, as he said, the seed parent was a mislabled plant).

Joe

Hi Daniel
I believe your plant is an Emmarene (khasiana x Ventricosa).
Mine was identical to yours as a baby but now its grow up it parentage is pretty sure.Here,s a couple of upper pitchers on mine taken this morning.
em.jpg

Bye for now  julian

Back