What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata

I have an N.Truncata and i bought it two months back and it came with a forming leaf. the pitcher hook is stilla fuzzy little thing, and SLOWLY growing. I read they're real slow, but just how slow to grow a new pitcher?

they groe ungodly slow, but not as slow as some species like rajah and lowii, which i like to call Slowii
smile.gif

however, each leaf gets progressivly larger than the last.

Hi
I grow my lowland form as an intermediate and it grows fairly
rapidly its gone from being very small to producing 6inch pitchers in no time,its about to put out another pitcher which looks like its going to be a lot bigger.
Its not the fastest of growers by any means but its fairly constant and seems to respond to feeding.

Bye julian

I've read they start out really slow, and get faster and faster as they age.

It could also be taking a "breather" as it's acclimating. I got a Ventrata in the mail and it didn't do much for a month or two as it got used to my conditions.

I think N. rajah and N. lowii are faster than N. truncata! Maybe just my sense of time lapse too......lol

I have many lowlanders and the truncatas definitely belong to the faster ones, although they are still young. They love light, most of them get indirect light without any further shading, some get a few hours of direct sun. This makes their leafs to become brighter and fleshier and so is the tendril and forming pitchers. The margins of the forming leafs are red. The leaf-pitcher ratio is great then. Several other Neps can not take that much sun.
I am growing in coco peat with lava stones. Two of them are planted straight into the garden and don't mind the clayish soil.
We should really count the days (or upload weekly images?), how long it take for a new leaf to form, so we could compare more objectively and optimize our growing conditions accordingly. Shall we?
smile.gif

Volker

I recall seeing this discussion before....It seems that there is a great varience in growth speed for this species. I wonder....Does anyone have SEVERAL truncatas in the SAME environment from DIFFERENT sources (lineages)? It would be interesting to see if the difference is more environmental or more lineage....hmmm

It seems my bigger plant from CPJ is slower Dave, course that is due to the fact it has to produce those big leaves takes time for those ceels to go through mitosis and divide and grow. I have a small N. truncata from PFT and it seems to be a little faster than my big mature one.

I have lowland N. truncata from 4 sources and at least 5 different clones. They all grow at the same rate as far as I can tell. ie rate of leaf and pitcher development.

While N. truncata is not the fastest growing lowland plant, it can get pretty large in fairly short order if taken care of properly. I have seen them jump in size nearly 2 fold with each new leaf. To get them to do that though they need lots of space, nice hot days with a little cooling at night AND LOTS of feeding. My first N. truncata flowered this year and was only a tiny two inch diameter plant a few years ago.

Tony

Hi Tony
i never have seen a Truncata flower before have you got any photos of it?

Bye julian

true,

nepenthes truncata are slow growers. my lowlander is slow in growing but is faster than my cephalotus follicularis and some of my other specimens. i say the slow growth is nonetheless rewarding with their beautiful and large pitchers. mine is nothing to brag about, but i don't mind since i like to keep them smaller with pruning and what-not so that they do not overgrow my terrarium.

i am in search of the "Pasian" highland form however, since it's so beautiful and diverse. personally, i find it much more attractive than that of rajah or even, villosa.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (leafedwellsofwater @ July 05 2004,12:02)]i am in search of the "Pasian" highland form however, since it's so beautiful and diverse.
Are all highlanders termed "Pasian" or is it a very specific variety?

Hi,

The discussion about the growth speed of N. truncata inspired me to create a Time Lapse Site where you can observe one of my small truncatas growing. I am taking pictures about every 2nd day since July 15.
Have fun!
Volker
PS: I will be taking close-up pictures of the peristome, once it starts forming

that site is really cool, leuco!! baby trunc's are so adorable.

Heh, very cool idea. My truncata's pitcher is about at the July 15th stage... so I can follow along.
smile.gif

If you have a tripod you might want to put tape on the ground showing exactly where the legs should be placed so you can take pictures quickly. Though it looks like you're doing a good job getting the same shot either way.

What I did, is to hammer an iron bar into the ground. I placed the tripod mount of my camera on that iron bar every time I took a picture. Everything else is a little variable.
Maybe next time I do it more professionally, so I can have the same angle and zoom setting and turn the thing into a GIF-Animation. What I can't control is the light level outdoors
smile.gif

If I had time maybe I could make you a flash movie where a person can scroll back and forth through the process. That's iffy though.

leucophylla, did you notice the other developing pitcher of another plant (on the right) in the photos?
smile.gif
Is it a truncata too?

Hi All,
Like Tony, we've got a number of clones all growing together in the same area of the greenhouse. They grow pretty consistently the same. The big difference is between the tissue cultured plants and the seed raised plants. Plants from tc grow faster. It grows at about the same rate as N. veitchii from what I've casually observed. Michelle thinks it'
s a little slower than veitchii. All Neps grow faster when daylight hours are longer than twelve hours. Anyway, my two cents worth...

Trent

I have three N. truncata from three different sources, two lowland and one highlander (Wistuba "Red"?) and I have found them to be one of the most vigorous sp. under local conditions (Guatemalan highlands). One of my plants, purchased as a tiny TC waif from Cal Carnivores in 1999 is now a 1.40 m diameter monster (kinda beatup right now from getting knocked over by the gardener, but anyway). Ditto for the Wistuba and MT plants - these things get massive QUICK when happy!

As for the speed with which they add new leaves; I suspect that they can expand a new leaf (not pitcher) and extend the tendril much of its final length within 4-5 weeks outside here. I have a pitcher maturing now that looks good to go 38 cm that I estimate took about two months to expand.

I have found they full sunlight for a good part of the day is more important than warm temps. When I grew them inside the conservatory they were much slower growing then when moved outdoors. Jan lows here reach 2 degrees C. Photoperiod ranges from 11:13 to 13:11.

Bifn/SJ

Back