What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. x splendiana, upper, lower, and intermediate.

Hey, I though this was cool. I took these three pitcher pictures tonight. They're all on the same plant, lower, intermediate, and upper. This N. x Splendiana finally made a basal shoot, and I got my first lower pitcher. Unfortunately, the next one is the intermediate, so it will be all uppers again from here. I'm glad I saw one lower, though!
N_x_Splendiana_3pitchers.sized.jpg

Capslock

Very nice Caps.  Great sequence of photos.

The only parentage info I could find said: "mirabilis x (rafflesiana x ampullaria)"

Is that correct?  If so do you keep it in L/L conditions?

Aaron.

Hey Aaron. No, the parentage is N. maxima x kampotiana. It thrives in my household conditions, which are intermediate/highland. It's a vigorous hybrid, and a good way to squeak the seldom-grown and difficult N. kampotiana into your collection.

Capslock

That's great the plant looks very happy! I like the "fat lip" look of the upper pitcher's persitome! It also looks like a real sticky plant with those large nectar droplets under the upper pitchers lid and on the tendrils.  Are your hands sticky after handling the pitchers?

Hi Capslock
Great photos,i gotta go for the upper pitcher just love its shape.

Bye for now Julian

Capslock, do you know if it's male or female? There is one very vigorous female clone in cultivation which will eventually get the cultivar name 'Splendid Diana'.
We grow ours in lowland conditions in the summer, and highland conditions in winter-a testament to N. xSplendiana's hybrid vigor.

Trent

Normally one would pick a highly colored pitcher over a greenish one, but that upper is really cool with the colored peristome against the green pitcher.
Very nice plant!

Joe

Capslock wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the parentage is N. maxima x kampotiana
Wait a minute! The ICPS database states
Nepenthes x splendiana {Hort.Bednar}nom.nud.
is anamensis x maxima

When Bruce and Clyde made the hybrid, they used a Nep that had been sent to Clyde from a collector in Cambodia, who collected the plants in the foothills of the Elephant Mountains not far from the town of Kampot.(Don't know about this spelling). In the same shipment, they also received plants of anamensis. According both of the guys, the anamensis plants were different from the kampotiana plants, but recent taxonomic revisions of the genus has kampotiana as a synonym for anamensis.
We have supposedly one of the few clones of kampotiana in our greenhouse, and to me, it is much closer to thorelii. We will soon have our website up with pictures of this plant. I knows there's others around, and would love to compare plants one day.
In the case of N. splendiana, Clyde's female kampotiana was the pod bearer, and the male maxima used is still around. Most of the kampotiana plants are long gone. After a period of good growth and blooming, they died off. It now seems they need a dry 'dormancy period' in late winter, along with cooler temperatures. Most of the plants were literally watered to death. They do have an unusual tuber-like rootstock, which supports the dry period needed to sucessfully grow them.
I'm sure one day this will all be sorted out. More detailed taxonomic work should be done in this very dangerous part of the world, but until then...

Trent

Wow, I didn't know the plant had that interesting a past! I just bought it on Ebay bacause it looked cool.

Josh, yes it's one of those "oozy" neps that seeps sticky nectar all the time. It's been one of the better growing neps I've had. I think it would make a good windowsill nep.

Trent, I don't know if it's male of female. Hopefully, it will flower. Do you have a pic of yours? Mine is the only one I've seen around.

Capslock

Right now, Michelle is busy putting together our website, and it's a complicated mess trying to get pics from there to here, but all will be visible soon. Hopefully we will be able to provide a little bit of a pictorial guide to a lot of these plants-including Sarracenia.
Your pic is very typical of Splendiana. Once it puts on a little more size, the lower traps will get even larger. I like the way the peristome starts at an almost apricot-flesh-tone color, and ages to a coral pink. If nights are cool, it will even go towards a cherry red.
We have a "next generation" of seedlings coming along using the female 'Splendiana' as a parent. The nicest looking seedlings have a red ventricosa as dad. Don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet. More to come on all of this.

Trent

Trent, I would be happy to test the new seedlings in different conditions, you know, just to make sure they work. LOL!! j/k

Seriously, I look forward to seeing your website! Are you a vendor? PM me if so, I'd love to see what you have! I have some trade bait, too, if you're interested.

Capslock

Back