What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes hybrids

lol

BANNED
Hi. I was wondering, do you think N. truncata x stenophylla can sucseed in lowland conditions (mid 70's at night toping at mid 80's, 90 max)? It's in near highland conditions right now, and is sortta slow. I want to get some more hybrid nepenthes, and was wondering if most half highland, half lowland neps will sucseed in my conditions. Thanks.

Nepenthes exhibit true hybrid vigor. The truncata x stenophylla will most likely tolerate the temps you described. Our summer temperatures are very similar and we get vigorous growth and pitchers from hybrids like spectabilis x ventricosa and spathulata x truncata. Yet, spectabilis and spathulata would never tolerate our long warm summer nights.
Also, hybrids between a lowlander and a highlander typically result in progeny that thrive in both sets of conditions.

Trent

Trent,

Intersting, as I always "assumed"(and we all know what that means...
smile_m_32.gif
) that a highland x lowland hybrid pretty much makes a intermediate.

Joe

Joe,
We find the true intermediate growers are sometimes the trickiest. They don't like it too cool or too hot, but the hybrids between highland and lowland for the most part become very temperature tolerant. Right now we have a small group of truncata x densiflora-large seedlings- that are not only tolerating our hot summer, but producing large new traps! I kinda expected them to be a little fussy right about now until October, but not at all. We are having much more trouble with albomarginata rubra-an intermediate grower. Other intermediate growers are doing fine-eustachya and hirsuta, but have slowed down a bit.
Trent

I have a eustachya in my lowland setup as well. I'm hoping it will adjust nicely. Well that's good to hear
biggrin.gif
. Im going to move my truncata hybrids in there as well, and maybe some other easy more highland crosses. Thanks.

N.truncata is one tough little species, and it passes that toughness on to its progeny.
T.

Hmm.....got any pics of those Trent?
smile_m_32.gif

Actually, yes! I've been holding back putting up pictures on purpose. Soon there will be a website showing our truncatas, truncata hybrids, lowland species, tons of new and classic Nep hybrids and lots more.
We (my lovely and charming Nepenthes fiend wife) wanted to have it up and going by mid July, but still await our California Certification-if you know what I mean...and if you don't, PM me.
There will be dozens of pictures of Sarracenia and Nepenthes, articles on culture, tips, trips and more! We will be on the ICPS webring very soon.
Trent

About darn time Mr. Hybrid!
biggrin.gif

seriously tho, I can't wait to see your goodies!

Back