What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitchers refuse to open

I have two nice Judith Finns in my terrariums, and now their pitchers don't seem to want to open! Only about half of them have opened, and the pitchers have been there a while. No, it's not humidity, that's near 90%.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

Sometimes it just takes a long time for the pitcher to fully inflate and open its lid.

Opening halfway? Hmm.....hows your lighting? Could be underdeveloping slightly.

Hmm not sure I understand fully. Do you mean they develop fully then just don't open? Or do you mean only half of the leaves develop pitchers and the rest the tendrils do nothing? I am also assuming they were previously growing and producing pitchers just fine for an extended period of time.. ie months and months prior to this?

What are your temperatures? I am guessing based on the time of the year and your location that perhaps the temperature is warmer and N. Judith Finn while a fairly easy hybrid is still more of a highland plant.
Tony

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant that an average number of pitchers formed, and they all fully developed, but some of them haven'e opened in months! Most are fine though, SO I'm not worried about the plant. These weird things just seem to happen to me!

Thanks,
Craig

I've only heard of the pitchering remaining closed to take advantage of what little humidity they have. If it's 90% humidity then I can't really say. That is very odd, especially for something as fast growing as x 'Judith Finn'.

Is it just me or is the N. Judith finn a VERY slow grower? Even the N. Lowii can match up to growth with it...

My Judith Finn's exhibited both rapid growth and total stagnation, with no particular explanation. All of the sudden, it just stops for a while. I have no idea why I have trouble with this plant, since I grow much more difficult ones right next to it with no problems. I have both N. aristolochioides and a lowland N. truncata pitchering on the same shelf with enthusiasm. Go figure!

Capslock

capslock- mine to! Wierd, aren't they. I have gotten some pitchers to open now, forced 'em! It just sort of took a toothpick and pried it up, and it snapped into postition and looks fine now! I tried it with some others and they all just needed a little help. A soon as I even put a littl pressure underneath, they popped up. Strange, you would think that my misting them, or shifting them, or something would have set it off if it was that easy... Oh well. All's well that ends well!

Thanks,
Craig

Back