What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes 'ventrata'

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Does Nepenthes 'ventrata' form intermediate and / or upper pitchers which look different then the lower pitchers?

They have all three pitcher forms but main difference is the tendril attachment, the true uppers might be a bit more "graceful" in appearance but unless it's a very young Ventrata (seedling or first pitcher(s) on a dormant node cutting) it won't have wings, sometimes a couple hairs just under the persitome with be on the lowers.

Tendril attachment? could you explain a bit more on that please?

/Quensel

The Tendril is the fleshy cord that attaches the pitcher to the leaf tip, grows out of the end of the main vein on the leaf.

I will generalize about Nepenthes here and show you some examples from my plants.
In lower pitchers the tendril attaches in the front (and the pitchers often have wings),
Lower N. rafflesiana giant BE-99 pitcher:
giantraff6.jpg

Intermediate pitchers usually have fewer or reduced wings and a tendril that attaches at the side of the pitcher and the pitcher might be less bulbous on the bottom.
intermediate N. hamata
hamata6.jpg

Upper pitchers are attached behind the pitcher and wings are usually reduced to ridges.
upper N. aristolochioides x thorelii
aristoxthor6.jpg

Ah ok I see... I didnt know about that, just never crossed my mind.
This means my ventrata is tossing out intermediates then, I guess
smile.gif
For how long will it have intermediates? mebbe itll start vining soon even
smile.gif

/Quensel

Thanks for the info.
I've seen all the pitchers then on my N. ventrata then.

It will make a few intermediates, I've never actually counted them. N. ventrata is a rather fast growing hybrid so I'd expect you'll see some uppers soon.

My Ventrata plants are all cuttings of cuttings of cuttings.... I sometimes get a few lowers a few intermediates and then uppers, sometimes, just uppers, sometimes intermediates then uppers.

If you wanna start at "the begining" take a single or dual node cutting from a 2" section of vine and start a whole new plant from the node just above a leaf. You will get to see all the pitcher forms in rather rapid succession as it gets back to the size it was when you cut it off the main plant. Of course, it needs to a be a mature plant when you do this.

Back