What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd thing to try

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
WARNING: This is kinda gross

I got to thinking today and it came to me:
Saliva has diluted amounts of digestive fluid in it which helps to break down food as you are chewing. I also had read that the fluid contained in Nep pitchers is very similar to the fluid found in our stomachs. As well as the saliva containing bacterias.

SOOOOO...............I decided to try adding saliva to distilled rain water and see if it helps break down insects OR maybe help the pitcher to produce more of its own fluids. Since they frequently are dumped during shipping and tons of people post on what to do about the fluid loss and feeding. At worst it might rot the pitcher but for some reason I don't think that will happen.

YES, I know how strange this sounds and actually is.
smile_n_32.gif

I guess we'll see what happens
Joe

i wouldn't say stomach acid is the same .. if you put stomach acid in the pitcher it would digest the pitcher.

i think saliva wont do anything, but what about those powdered enzymes on the infomercial? you mix them with drinks or mix them with food and you can see the food disolve right in front of your eyes... that might be an interesting experiment.

JustLikeAPill, Stomic Acid is Hydrochloric Acid and pitcher DO have Hydrochloric Acid in them. If Stomic acid was super concentrated you would burn yourself if you ever tossed your cookies, it's all got to do with the AMOUNT of acid not so much the kind ;)

If I remember our digestive system correctly, the acid's main purpose is to actually kill as much harmful bacteria as possible.
I had to take pills once to neutralize my stomach completely(I was having bad tummy pains) and I asked "How will I digest anything" and they said you don't need the stomach acid for that.

Joe

hey yeah darcie, your right! i didn't think about the amount! doh!
biggrin.gif

All saliva does is hydrate the food and begin the breakdown of starch molecules. I doubt it will do anything, but whatever tantanlizes your brain I guess! Go for it. If you put stomach acid into a pitcher....well I don't think it would work too well....would probably kill the pitcher in a short period of time.

hah! told you so!

Justlikeapill, I didn't ask if it would work I said I decided to try it.

Joe

no no no! i wasn't talking you you! i was talking to darcie

Back