What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fertilizer

• Thread starter lol
  • Start date

lol

BANNED
Today, when I bought my cf lights, I got some free fertilizers. One is to be mixed with water, and the other with soil, but I think they're both "kelp" based organic fertilizers. Can I use this stuff?

NO
confused.gif

Soory for the short answer, but cps are carnivorous for a reason. My policy is that all organic compounds decompose to form fertilizer, all any type of fertilizer is fertilizer. Although some companies do use very very very dilute, water based fertilizers such as superthrive to boost the growth of the plant enough without hurting it (I would imagine natural soil would contain the tinest bit of ferilizer as well), but I find my policy better, that way nothing bad can happen. Stick with the feeding!
laugh.gif

Superthrive is not a fertilizer Jason. It is growth enhancer AKA hormone. All it contains are vitamins and plant hormones to promot good growth and root development. Using it on a plant will only benefit it long enough until the plant is fully capabable of obtaining the compounds on its own.

i dilute shultz orchid fertilizer to a 1/4th dilution then wipe it on the leaves of my neps and i get good results.

Neps are the only CP you can safely fertilize with most stuff (not all, just most).  I've used regular fertilizer on their roots with out hurting them.

that's not true darcie, i many people foliar feed their plants such as sarracenia

Nepenthes are the far most tolerant CP you can fertilize. Drosera being the extremely sensitive Genus. I fertilize my Nepenthes with time release formula very sparingly. Sarracenia are able to take it also with good results.

I only feed my plants through their pitchers. It is very hard to resist fertilizer, especially on my N. dubia which is too small to feed... But, any experimentation should be left to a hardier and less expensive plant for me anyways.
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

So... I've heard of people using organic fertilizers on Nepenthes. I think it could be worth a try on one of my neps.

Back