What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, here's the plan...
this boy N. Miranda:
miranda2.jpg

plus this girl aristolochioides x thorelii:
aristoxthor3.jpg
aristoxthor6.jpg

This will hopefully resemble the aristo x thor cross in general shape and rapid growth speed (I got it as a six inch diameter "seedling" from Tony last August, now it's a two meter vine (two 1 meter vines) and flowering and making uppers! But maybe my cross will produce huge pitchers and tolerate lowland conditions. We'll just see what happens!

But I will only do a few flowers on the aristo x thor  with the Miranda pollen and tagging them. Since Nep flowers open in succession if anyone else has some interesting pollen to donate for the next crossing feel free to post it here or PM me. Of course the pollen donor get's a 50/50 split of any seed produced with your pollen. This is the first time I've done a cross so I don't know how successfull I'll be or not.

Anyone in need of pollen I have the following available now or it will be soon:
N. fusca (now)
N. Miranda (soon)
N. maxima x? unknown hybrid yellow (soon)

Take it easy folks!
smile.gif

Excellent swords! Should be a great hybrid.

I'll have some N. maxima pollen soon, too. If you want some, let me know! I'd love a seed or two of your Miranda x (aristo x thor) cross! Like yours, my aristo x thor grows like a weed! You might be creating the nepenthes equivalent of kudzu!

Capslock

darn the only thing i have about to bloom is a probably male Miranda which you already have........i to would be interested in trying a few seeds......personally i think it is a very worth while cross that more than "a few" flowers should be used for. with this complex parentage who knows whay may show up. you could wind up with several completely different plants worthy of making cultivars. just my opinion.

Rattler

Will be interesting to see more complex hybrids using things like N. aristolochioides. One note if the female is the N. thorelii x aristolochioides the cross would be written:
N. (thorelii x aristolochioides) x miranda

Tony

How many seeds do female pither plants usually produce, and i tought female neps were rare. How did you get one?

in the wild it appears that most species have a higher male to female ratio. no one knows for sure the reason for this. swords has a manmade hybrid there for he had a decent chance at getting a female i would believe. the ventrata i have is labled as a female so im guessing it came from a cutting off of a known female plant.

Rattler

The cross sounds spectacular! Have you looked in to getting a few of the seeds put into TC so you will get an idea of the look of the plant sooner?

Tony, wouldn't you agree that my plant should be capable of flowering soon? I don't recall the exact figures, but the cutting came from a fairly large vine, correct?
smile.gif

Josh, that looks very cool. I can't wait to see the outcome!
I have yet to get a nep to flower.
smile_h_32.gif
Maybe one day....

Back