What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sinking lids

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
the pitchers of my N. belli have been developing, but then the lids sink in. the light is fine as the plant is maroon in color, humidity is fine, soil is fine, etc etc. but why are the pitchers lids sinking in? i got the plant not long ago and both new pitchers it has produced are doing this, yet the plant doesn't seem to suffer any shcok from shipping or being transplanted and is growing rapidly.

any help? thanks

clint

I am thinking most likely some type of humidity or stress issue is causing this. Neps when in low humidity depending on the type will lower their lids maybe to reduce fluid loss in the pitchers.

well, they sink before they even open! it's before they mature.its like they just sink into the pitcher, it's weird.

humidity is always above 80 percent.

Some Nepenthes just do this sort of thing. I can't say I have really looked at my N. bellii to see if they are one of them. As long as moisture levels are fine though they seem to open up normally in the end.

well, i've only had it a few weeks. think it's just adjusting to it's new environment?

Bingo:

Of course, if your plant is adjusting to a new environment, it is expected that some pitchers will suffer the consequences. Although, some species have very resistant pitchers such as N. veitchii and N. lowii.

James

Back