What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. maxima chop job

Greetings:

Thought I'd test posting some photos.

Am drastically pruning all of my plants this summer. The following pix show the stems generated by a fairly young N. maxima from MT, imported as a seedling in 2000. This plant was also lightly pruned 18 mos ago, so the resultant ca. 15 m of good-caliper stem shows just how prolific these things can be under outdoor culture.

Nepenthes%20maxima%20Sulawesi.jpg

Nepenthes%20maxima%20stems.jpg

Hopefully, the images display properly.

Cheerio,

SJ

Endparenthesis:

Most of the pitchers remained in the tree it was growing in, altho' since these stems were up in fairly dense canopy, there are not as many uppers as would be "normal".

Bifn/SJ

Hehe, it looks like you got suttings to spare. Are you willing to give those away?

Stop begging for cuttings anytime someone posts something like this Nathaniel (or at least do it via pm.. ;p).. StoneJaguar isn't in the US (according to his profile) so you would need import permits.

Nice pics.  Might want to resize them in the future so they are a bit easier to view without scrolling around and don't take so long to download.
Tony

Yes... Im sorry for asking if you were giving those cuttings away jaguar. I hope you forgive me
smile_h_32.gif

No harm, no foul , lol. Indeed, the CITES/MAGA permit process here is prohibitively expensive for non-commercial shipments. This clone is widely available from a number of sources and is vigorous (obviously) & most handsome.

Thanks, Mr. Paroubek, for the compliment & heads-up on the file format. I'll make certain to re-size the next jpgs I post.

Ciao

i think the "local" CP market down there will soon be flooded with maxima.......i wish i could let mine just grow upa tree but i dont think even the ultrahighlands would like my winters up here, prolly wouldnt care for my summers either.

Rattler

Beautiful. I just got some ventricosa x maxima from Joel (Nepenthes around the house) and now I'm out for some maxima! I'm getting some with my next plant order from tony. Can you give us a picture of the mother plant?

Thanks,
Craig

that was growing in a tree??

where do you live? you have a GREAT climate for a nep to grow that big outside!

his profile says Guatemala City, Guatemala, i would think that would be warm for maxima but i guess obviously im wrong.

Rattler

well i'll just have to find somewhere in the states to live.. i don't think moving out of country would be very easy lol.

i want to move to the california coast. i love the state and the climate is great for cp's (a little cold for my taste, though!)

Ahhh, the climate is the best out here! After a while, you crave that fog bank that rolls in every summer afternoon. Ahhhh the blissful cool air.

Of course, you have to pay extra for this.

Capslock

lol, yes, property is VERY expensive out there, but well worth it for the climate, the people, and the location.

Ill have to chop mine down to size sometime. Mine has got rather big.

SJ,

Which type of maxima is it? Ignorant as I am, I am thinking Guatemala City is not highland, so would this be their Borone lowland clone?
I don't suppose you have pics of the plant before pruning, ie growing and pitchering in the trees?

Cheers,

Joe

My home is located at 1,580 m.a.s.l. and we're at roughly 14 degrees N. My rear garden abuts a lightly-disturbed cloud forest ravine, complete with Heliconias, gigantic tree daisies and wild avocado. Climate is definitely great for highland Nepenthes, genuinely bad for N. bicalcarata, even in a conservatory.

This is the highland clone from MT. I also just pruned a CSUF clone of same sp. (8 m good stem), Geoff Mansell's miniature Anggi Lakes clone (2 m), GM's var. pierennsis (10 m), Cal Carnivores' "ex-Sarawak" (12 m) and Phill Mann's gorgeous clone "B" (4 m). Will post various photos of these plants over the next couple of days.

All of my mature climbers are hung from the limbs of a big loquat tree. The largest are two superb, richly-colored N. sanguinea clones from GM, and an exceptionally large-pitchered form of N. fusca. Given that there are several flowering terminals poking out of the upper canopy, I conclude that all these plants have a number of indvidual stems exceeding 7 m in length. Climbing stems in shade usually produce rather few, all-green pitchers in most taxa (here).

Cheerio,
SJ

That's really amazing I too would like to see a picture of the plants climbing up into the trees!

I wonder, if left to flower and set seed un noticed in your garden if Nepenthes could escape into the wild and become established in a place where they can flourish like that?

Back