What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have just completed the first pass on polinating the N. aristolochoides x thorelii X Miranda (maxima x northiana x maxima). There are about 10-12 flowers which have had their stigmas dusted, there is clearly much more pollen than needed by the tiny female flowers of the aristo x thor plant. at least it seems so. I will do another pass in a day or so as advised by Trent (thanks again man!). I have another dozen flowers or so which can be pollinated in a few days with different pollen so I may also do fusca (Tambunan road) x aristolochioides x thorelii, I'm not sure that would make a very interesting plant seeing as the pitchers are rather similar in shape/pattern.

Since I had cut off three male Miranda flowers I thought I would show you what a twin flower stalk from N. miranda looks like. Unfortunatley the polka dot pattern on the sepals didn't come through on the reduction in file size...

mirandaflower1.jpg

Edit: I forgot, I made a quick sketch last night at work of what I hope the hybrid will look like featuring the best attributes of each parent.  
dominusconcept.jpg

Good stuff Josh.  Best of luck with it.

Do you have photos of the parent plants/pitchers?

Aaron.

Edit: Never mind, I just hopped on to your web site and found them.

i really cant wait to see what those will actually look like. i wish i could talk the OL ppl to let me take a couple of cuttings of the big plants
smile_n_32.gif
most have just gotten done flowering in the last couple months and i could get some plants that are definatly female. suppose if i slip them a $50? lol i can dream cant I? good luck with it. i think it will be one heck of a cross. now if Pyro's khansiana sets seed ill have couple of lil bitty khansiana x Miranda plants in 6 months, prolly wont be as impressive though.

Rattler

Josh,
That will definitely be an interesting cross. Something that complex could yield a range of pitcher shapes and colorations. Thorelii passes red coloration for at least a couple of generations. How the aristo. will affect things is totally unknown-except it does seem to have a fairly strong impact on pitcher shape, judging from the few primary hybrids that have been made in Australia. It should also grow well under a wide range of conditions-both highland and lowland. Also, some of the progeny could be large growers, taking after daddy. I've seen plants of bellii x veitchii with pitchers larger than veitchii-explain that one!

Trent

Hey Josh,
Sounds really cool! Love a good mystery. I bet that the offspring will most likely vary dramatically, with some closely resembling one parrent, some the other, and most somewhere in between...Who knows? Maybe you'll get something worthy of a cultivar status...

Rattler,
I actually think that should be a good cross, too. Khasiana crosses aren't given enough credit in my opinion.

Hi Josh
Should be a wicked cross.

Bye for now Julian

I would pay argentii type money to get my hands on one of those!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I am incredibly impressed by both your idea and your drawings! Please keep me updated however possible, I'd love to be involved!
smile_m_32.gif
smile.gif

ha thanks Lithops!
laugh.gif

Keep in mind the sketch is only my fantasy of what the pitchers could look like, I really dig those ballon shaped pitchers of aristolochioides and klossii. Since I can't have a klossii (at least not yet) maybe this will work as a big ballon shaped pitcher and keep me satisfied til the time is right for klossii to appear in my hands...
biggrin.gif

Does anyone know how I can officially give it a hybrid name or publish the fact that his hybrid has been made? I've read the ICPS page but I'm still ignorant about how naming works.

Sssshhhhh! Don't tell the plants that. Just show them the sketch and say that failure is not an option.
smile_n_32.gif
If that were to be the pitcher, it would be one of the most amazing hybrids ever!
smile.gif

Back