What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ive got a new plant hehehehehe.......

well i went back to Orchids limited today.....checkbook took a $110 hit but i made it out alive. well i got to chatting with the owner about some of the Neps he has growing on display in his main retale area including the one that iterested me the most which turned out to be a 25 plus year old FEMALE "highland" vetchii. well push came to shove and i walked out with a foot and a half section of vine staked into a pot of damp high grade LFS
smile.gif
it cost me $50 but im EXTREAMLY happy. swords, you were right, the regular lil neps he has for sale are from an outside producer. although he bought it as a highland its been growing in a pretty warm section of his greenhouse. it has the striped peristrome that i like versus the more or less solid gold one i see on most of the "lowland" ones offered for sale. the guy must have had all 20 or so "display" neps bloom at more or less the same time and he did NOTHING with them
smile_l_32.gif
oh well. i guess my question is how well do vetchii root from cuttings? they said they have had real poor results with truncata(you have to see that plant if you are EVER in the Minneapolis area, i swear the pitchers are 18 inches tall) he dusted it real well with rooting hormone. the vine is about as thick as my pinkie finger.

anyways the other $60 went to 2 orchids ive been looking for, Stanhopea nigro violacea and Sedirea japonica, along with a 4 inch pot of Vanda coerulea for Darla.

Rattler

OOO, nice. I heard they are suppose to be easy to root. Got any pics? (Psssh btw you wouldn't happen to be thinking of divide that large cutting into smallers ones... I'm tring to root a couple nice small spatulata female cuttings... poke poke wink wink)

I've never rooted an N. veitchii before, but supposedly very easy due the hirsuteness of the stem.

That's a sweet N. veitchii isn't it!? He wouldn't cut it for me due to the "low sucess rate" but that's maybe because I look like a guy who'd come back and kick your rear if the plant you sold me died!
laugh.gif

But I wouldn't mind paying a mere $50 to give it a shot-especially cos you know what the pitchers will be like.

Good luck with it!

i figure im going to cut it into two pieces so i dont have all my eggs in one basket so to speak. does veitchiis nodes errupt easy or is it a royal pain like ampullaria? mainly im worried about it being so much plant material to keep hydrated, the leaves are about 10 inches long and 6 wide and there are about 7 or 8 of them. he did the whole low success rate with me too but after he heard i was from Montana i think he figured i wouldnt be coming and knocking at his door if it doesnt work. i also worked on him for about 20 minutes on it, picked out an orchid, discussed giving me a cutting, picked out another orchid, disscussed the veitchii a lil more, agreed to sell me the cutting, and picked out a third orchid
smile_n_32.gif
ill post pics next week after im home.

Rattler

while mine doesnt have any pitchers at the moment here is a pic of one of his plants pitchers from his website. my cutting is from this plant.

Nepveit23B.jpg

ill still post a pic of my cutting twords mid week.

Rattler

wow, that's fabulous! your sooo lucky to have a plant like that ^_^

Nice plant!
From this site they say that it is very easy to root.
http://www.plantswithattitude.com/veitchi....ighland
How I keep my N. spatulata cuttings well hydrated is just sticking them in pure water (i didn't use any root hormones) and spraying them once in awhile. Or do you mean keeping them well hydrated on the way home?

Does he still have the N. veitchii clasping the slabs of cork bark like it would a tree trunk? That was a nice sight! It's been a while since I've been up there...
I can't remember what sex it was, had it flowered recently when you were there?

yeah thats the one. it still had the dried up flower stalk on it(infact its on my cutting) and i would definatly say its female. the flowers look nothing like my Mirandas and i found sone dried male flowers on another plant just to make sure. there were a couple other females, one i would say was ventrata and i already have one that is labeled as female from another grower who takes cuttings of his large established plants so i have no reason to doubt it but time will tell as i have yet to flower it. but after spending the $50 on the veitchii Darla would have shot me if i went after another one, a couple orchids were justified as she loves the flowers. she thinks my "killer" plants are interesting but she prefers flowers which is prolly why she likes my Utrics. truth be told the plants were looking rather ratty and in need of cleaning up. they were still worth the stop to look especially being as several of the plants are 20 plus years old. the veitchii looked great, and prolly was the best looking of the bunch other than the dead flower stalks.

Rattler

That's great if you got a known female!

Yes, his greenhouses have a wide temperature and humidity range and it takes it's toll on the neps. The small neps are usually pitcherless or burnt. The bigger ones seem to have adapted.But in winter even some of the big ones loose their pitchers.

not sure yet.....ive just left it alone. it still looks good.

Rattler

Back