What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sick nep!

Hi all:

I've had this Rokko X veitchii for 2 years and all of the sudden it is showing these brown veins on its leaves. The question then pops up!, what is it? disease? or light, food defficiency?

I look forward to anybody's reply. Thanks

Gus

brown%20veins.jpg

O that doesn't look good!

Looks like a pathogen in the vascular tissue. Did you notice it on the lower leaves first and does it start at the leaf closest to the petiole and travel towards the tip/tendril end?

Tony

Yes, Tony. I'll do something about it. It looked odd at first, but i just wanted to make sure. Thanks

Gus

One more thing though, i wish i knew what it was so i can treat it, since it is expensive to get a pathological examination, i'd have to get rid of it.

Gus

Good question Gus. How fast is it spreading? Based on the color of the veins and the tissue immediately next to the infection, I am going to make an educated guess and say it is fungal and not bacterial. As to what it might be I really don't know. You could try a very broad systemic fungicide. If it is still way down on the plant you can try for a cutting but odds are the main stem is already infected way beyond the point where it is showing in the leaves.
smile_h_32.gif

Tony

Could it be something parasitic?  Something that is actually under the surface and travelling/boring/feeding along the vascular tissue?

Aaron.

Hi all:

Yes, it is spreading from the bottom upwards. most leaves show the browning effect on the vascular tissue from the older to the new ones, except on the newest leaf, which will be eventually infected. I had treated with a systemic fungicide, but it is not working so i'll have to get rid of it.

Gus

Gus,

Can you just isolate it and keep trying?  Such a shame to loose it. There must be someone/somewhere that has experienced this and knows what it is at least!?

Overall, is the plant still growing and pitchering like normal, or does whatever the problem is appear to be having and impact on growth?

Does the infected area spread to the rest of the leaf tissue?

Aaron.

Back