What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 new neps!

Yaaaay!!

I just got home from a vacation trip, and on the way back, we stopped by the CP store, and I got myself a Bical and a Rajah!!

I'll post some pics when I can, but we're moving to a new apartment tomorrow, so it could be a little while before I get my inet access up and running there
smile.gif

The rajah is extremely tiny, only about 2 cm's across (less than an inch lol), with extreeeeemely tiny little pitchers.
The Bical is a bit bigger, already putting out fanged pitchers about an inch tall
smile.gif

Just had to share
smile.gif

/Quensel

You do know these both belong in completely different temperature conditions right?

Bicalcarata: Days 80-100*F / Nights 70-75*F
Rajah: Days 70-80*F / Nights 40-55*F

Both are picky about their temperatures and both require high humidity (80%+) for good pitchering.

If you've already got those bases covered, then good luck they're both awesome and easy plants in the right conditions!
biggrin.gif

I don't know about N.rajah but once bical is comfortable DO NOT change anything. I made that mistake, it rewarded me with black lining on the leaves and black pitchers. WHEW.....YAY.
smile_h_32.gif

jOE

That's true with many Neps Joe.
They are all "creatures of habit" as they say. Once they establish themselves in a proper climate it's going to effect them negatively anytime you move them around or change their growing conditions in any way. Even playing musical chairs with your plants  (moving them around inside the same growing chamber) can in certain circumstances, change the way they grow! Best to put them where they belong and if they're doing well don't change anything.

I want to know what "The CP Store" is, lol. I must be missing that chain here in Lincoln, NE.
Boy I am sarcastic today.... >;-D

Joe

Anyone know why this smiley.. >;-D   does not form a picture like the rest?

smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

smile_l_32.gif

smile_t_32.gif

Ok Im back again, in the new apartment
smile.gif

I do know that they belong in totally different conditions, but I felt that I had to buy two, and it was either the bical or a trunc, so I chose the Bical
smile.gif

The Rajah seems happy enough on my sill, where I spray it at least 5 times a day; already a new leaf is on its way
smile.gif

The bical is in a makeshift lowland chamber i made out of a petbox and an undertank heater
smile.gif

It keeps very high humidity and good temp, so Ill prolly chuck my ventrata and x tobaica in there too.

The CP store is a store in sweden (the only one of its kind here) which stocks only cp's. It's run by a cp enthusiast who went spare on the dysfunctional cp club in sweden, and went solo. He's a really great guy btw.

/Quensel

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]x tobaica

Mannanan, tobaica is a species.  If you have a hybrid labeld x Tobaica, it's incorrect.  I got a hybrid so labelled, and it turned out to be x 'Emmarene'

Oh, I wouldn't throw the ventrata or the <we'll call it tobaica for now> in with the bical, as neither of them are lowlanders. They are both intermediate to highlanders, and will grow much better as such.

N. tobiaca will not appreaciate the lowland environment, will grow like it is in a dormant state. If your N. x ventrata is crossed with a lowland form of N. alata then perhaps it could be grown as a lowlander.

aargh... maybe its better if I just keep em all where they're now... they all seem to like it
smile.gif

The x tobaica I mentioned is a nep I got that was labeled tobaica, but ppl here told me that it was a hybrid of tobaica and possibly ventrata or ventricosa...

on another note; just how slow a grower is rajah? ive heard lots of  different statements on it, but rarely from someone that grows it.  
confused.gif

Edit: in true highland conditions, thst is
smile.gif

thanks /Quensel

N. rajah is a very slow grower, i remember seeing a pic of one 5 or 6 years old and it was only around a foot tall.

N. rajah is just as easy as N. ventricosa if you provide the conditions correctlyfor it Quensel. That being:

around 10-13C at night (around 50F)
lots of humidity (50%-80%)
Bright light
Large pot!!!!
correct soil
and bugs of course.

EDIT: forgot to add, N. rajah really likes excellent quality water. Good RO or Distilled.

Ironically, when he posted "x tobaica", I knew exactly what he was talking about...that Degroot hybrid listed as N. tobaica that is probably a tobaica x ventricosa.

Cheers,

Joe

Hehe thx Griffin... *snif* at least someone understands me...
smile.gif

The rajah is in a 4 inch pot atm, which seems kinda large for a 1 inch plantlet
smile.gif

I read that it needs large pots to reach any considerable size, so im kinda planning to repot larger when the plant reaches the same diameter as the pot...

Thanks for all the advice guys. It is, as always, extemely appreciated!

Thanks /Quensel

i've began to think all plants, with a couple of exeptions, are all easy in the right environment.

Pill, they are........the tough part is providing the conditions.
smile_m_32.gif

Yes, with the possible exception of the Lesser Snikaphur plant (Sychis Gobillaris ssp. bolleiida), which only ever grows in someone else's conditions.

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

/Quensel

Back