What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coco husk chips

Hi,

I have a chance to buy the last bricks from a company that sells Sri Lankan coir products, but the shipping will be the same as the cost of the product(about $63 ). I think there are three cases 32" long, and I can't remember the other dimensions.
Anyhow, T-Rex, a reptile supply product line present at Petco, has coco chips , and according tot he bag, they are a product of Sri Lanka. Would you think this would be the same "low sodium" product that could be soaked for a few days with some water changes(an hence, suitable to use in a potting medium)?

Cheers,

Joe

Supposedly Sri Lanka coconut husk are from inland sources and not subject to as much salt absorption as other countries. But there are alot of companies that make coir/chips and the only way to know for sure would be to get a sample and test it. Maybe you can find out if they are prewashed from the company directly?? (not sure I would trust the answer but might help)

Tony

I use the T-rex coco chips with my orchids and a coulpe neps, no problems.

Chris

I got a TDS meter off of eBay, a while back, and it does not seem to work.
smile_h_32.gif

I will have to look into these and see how much you need to spend to get a good one. I think I would rather have a digital camera if I have to spend $$$

Joe

Back