What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
heres an aim conversation i had with dustin:

cparsonsss: my n. campanulata looks like crap
cparsonsss: 1 leaf tunred yellow, then black, then fell off
cparsonsss: now another is turning yellow
cparsonsss: these are the oldest leaves
Ephippiata: whats the temps and soil moisture?
cparsonsss: soon i'll only have 3 leaves left
cparsonsss: temps are 85-90 days, high 70's nights
cparsonsss: soil is 2/1 sand/peat, everything i have ever grown in this mix does GREAT
cparsonsss: it's not on the tray sysem, and i keep the soil moist
cparsonsss: my other nepenthes are excelling and are in the same conditions
cparsonsss: i got it.. oh about a month ago
Ephippiata: hmm.......
Ephippiata: sounds pretty normal so far
Ephippiata: how is the growth?
cparsonsss: it's very slow
Ephippiata: hmm...
cparsonsss: the newest leaf has a tendril and a nub at the end, but the nub, which should be growing, isn't doing anything
Ephippiata: I'm befuddled
cparsonsss: lighting is 440 watts, it's over 12 inches away from them, theres no glass on top to filter the light
cparsonsss: i consider my light pretty strong since it turned my n. belli red
cparsonsss: humidity was 80 percent, but i was advised by many, including tamlin, to lower it to about 60
cparsonsss: so now it's in the low 60's, however, the plant was doing this before i lowered the humidity
Ephippiata: hmm
cparsonsss: the only thing i've done is fertilize it with a 1/8th dilution of shultz orchid fertilizer
cparsonsss: however, i've been doing that weekly since day 1, as well as my belli which is great
cparsonsss: and i've been applying it to ALL the leaves with a Q-tip so i wouldn't get it on the roots, not just the leaves that are dying
cparsonsss: what i dont get, is why are they turning BLACK and falling off instead of drying up?
cparsonsss: and why it's happening so fast
Ephippiata: I'm not sure
Ephippiata: I don't grow this species
cparsonsss: there are lots and lots of bugs in the soil
cparsonsss: some look like mites
cparsonsss: however, i have only exclusively seen these in and on the soil
cparsonsss: nothing else is affected and i've never seen these on or in a plant,
cparsonsss: they are big enough to see with the naked eye, they look like mites and are brown but have antenna, so they are an insect and not an arachnid
Ephippiata: :-\
cparsonsss: other bugs include springtales and fungus knats
cparsonsss: gnats^
cparsonsss: maybe i just got a crappy clone?
Ephippiata: post the topic on PFT.....I really don't know without seeing the plant

I grow mine in pure LFS. In addition, I lined the bottom of the plastic pot with styrofoam chips. I would suggest stop fertilizing the plant. I never fertilize my plant.

i really don't think it's the fertilizer.. i honestly don't. why would it only affect the oldest leaves?

i know nepenthes die naturally, but this just seems really fast and it's not dying the way my other nepenthes die.

I firmly am convinced its just natural and its adapting. I could be wrong but by the sounds of it, its natural.

it BETTER be natural, or else i'm out a really interested nepenthes with a very rich history!

Sand and peat? Sounds very heavy. Many Nepenthes grow in a more humusy mossy kind of 'soil' that is well drained and airy but holds alot of moisture. I am thinking root problem...

Tony

my soil is well drained and airy, everything else, and i mean everything, grows prolifically in this soil.

i'm starting to think it's just adapting, i did get it in crappy shape to start with. i HOPE it's just adapting.

I would change the soil to something more airy. Every nep is alittle different so it may work for some of your other neps. I also don't like the idea of bugs all over the soil.

done- changed to lfs.

well, auctually lfs and perlite.

i sprayed insecticide, flooded, them etc, nothing killed them.

they aren't hurting anything, i checked plants for root damage-no root damage, they aren't on the plants, so i'm going to leave them be-i fugure they are harmless scavengers and are picking and bits and pieces of this and that plant tissue that has died

Hey JLAP,
   My camp is in lfs with a smattering of orchid mix.  Seems to like it fairly wet.  It reacts negatively if I let it dry out too much...Almost as fast as my bical does!  Also, since camps have such thin pitchers, they can look really bad when adapting....the pitchers blacken and shrivel really quickly (found that out the hard way, lol).

Back