What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes sanguinea renovation

Greetings.

Finishing the cleanup of my collection this weekend. Last Sunday, I dragged down the larger of my two male Nepenthes sanguinea from its arboreal perch. Attached are three photos that illustrate:

Nepenthes%20sanguinea%20pot.jpg

The plant in its hanging pot prior to being untangled. Pitcher is from a hybrid.

Nepenthes%20sanguinea%20in%20loquat.jpg

The tallest two stems poking their noses out of the canopy. Note that they're still growing vigorously.

Nepenthes%20sanguinea%20post-pruning.jpg

The plant and cut stems after pruning.

Longest stem was just under 7 m in length, with a a number of branches and infl. throughout its length. Total stem yield was almost 39 m from a 35 cm hanging pot!  This plant was last pruned during the summer of 2002. While refreshing the medium, I examined the root system, expecting it to be rootbound. While the plant posesses a very vigorous root system, it by no means completely fills the pot. Clearly, this shows that the medium-sized highlanders in cultivation can be grown to dimensions comparable to wild plants.

Cheerio,

SJ

Thats is one big nep.It must be neat to be able to let them grow like that.

Jerry

What a monster.

Bye Julian

Very interesting, and informative! Thanks for the photos and observations!

BTW, have you had the chance to observe other species under these
conditions? If so, could you share those observations as well, and perhaps
provide a brief summary of local environmental conditions?

Back