What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes bicalcarata 15 yr. plant dying - help!

I bought a HUGE N. bical 15 yr. old plant last month. She was in a 17" pot with dark green, 2.5 ft. leaves, but no pitchers. I let her sit in this pot for two weeks under a shade cloth lanai in Tampa area of Florida climate. She started showing black spots on the leaves and the leaves became "curly", I increased the amount of watering she was getting and made sure she received less direct afternoon sunlight. The lanai is getting sun from a north-westen angle. I then transplanted her into a 24" deep pot with spagnum moss, perlite, pumice, orchid bark and peat moss. After a week or so, the leaves continued to get curly and more black, so I cut the leaves mostly. Only three leaves remain, but they are curly and have some black edges and spots. It looks like the plant is dying on me.

For anybody that has extensive experience with N. bicalcarata, please give me some advice to save this plant and get it thriving. Thank you.

Todd

i wish i could help, but that sounds like whats happening to my N. campanulata! do the leaves start to turn yellow first, then black?

My first thought is that this plant is getting too cold, for
in my experience, such necrotic spots are usually seen
in response to overly cool conditions. However, since you
are in Florida, and it is summer there now, I really doubt
that this is your problem.

Therefore, can you describe your conditions (e.g., temps)
more accurately, and tell us about the water you are using
(RO vs. tapwater)? Also, can you talk to the party from
whom you purchased this plant, and try to obtain a
clear description of the conditions under which the plant
was grown? An older, well-established plant, especially
this species, should not be going downhill like this,
unless is has recently sustained some kind of infection
or been exposed to an environmental toxin (assuming, of
course, that your conditions approximate its needs).

Humidity? maybe, mine did that when I had it outside for about 6 hrs.

Joe

I remember Swords plant up and kicked the bucket very quickly after he took it out of his grow chamber to get an afternoon shower outside. N. bicalcarata is a very very tempermental plant and just about ANY change in it's growing conditions will cause it to turn black right before your eyes.

I agree with Neps. to find out the temperature, light levels, and humidity levels the plant was getting. I would also like to know if it is a plant that was shipped in or was one purchased from a local grower in your area?

For now I would keep it out of direct sunlight, nice and warm (80+ at all times),enclose it to raise the humidity, and keep the mix pretty wet but not flooded. Be careful it doesn't get hit with sun if you enclose it, or it will bake in a matter of minutes!

Tony

Could it also be possible it is getting too much salty air breeze all of a sudden? I don't have any bicals, but my raffles doesn't like any sudden changes in environment.

Todd, is this the plant you told me about that you bought from either Bruce Bednar or Clyde Bramblett? It was already growing outside, wasn't it?

Joe

My N. bicalcarata was bought on location from Bruce Bednar. He had it outside. He has not answered my emails, but he is busy and out-of-town, so I haven't been able to get a history of the plant from him.

My temps during the day get to a high of 90-92F, lows of 70-73F. Humidity is high 80%-90%. The plant is outside in a 24" deep pot. It gets mainly afternoon sun from the northwest, but it is in a lani with heavy duty pet screening over the top and sides that act like shade cloth. Yes, I'm near the coast. 5 min. drive from two major beaches so the salty air breezes are something new to the plant as it was inland at it's old location about 50 miles from the coast.

Based on the above info, what do you think guys and girls? I appreciate your advice.

Todd

Salty air could deffinitely be a problem, in general though bicals seem to be touchy about any changes even if the new enviro is pretty similar they seem to know.

Joe

Checked her tonight. She is going down fast. Last three leaves are curlying on the sides and turning black.

What can I do to save this plant? Thanks.

Todd

Another note on this plant, it receives distilled water, lots of rain water and occasionally well water that is filtered by salt bags. Another 5 yr. old bical was purchased from the same seller as the 15 yr. old plant under the same orignal conditions and has done well growing two new leaves and one pitcher this past month. I did repot it from its original 17" pot to a 24" pot two weeks ago. Right now, I'm thinking it is in shock from that and is not adjusting well.

Todd

It's possible the repotting is the culprit and shock from it. Maybe some of the roots got damaged and it is now unable to absorb enough moisture to keep the leaves going? The curling sure sounds like a water/dehydration issue with the leaves. I would deffinately consider enclosing it in a big transparent bag and keeping it in bright light away from direct sunlight.

Also curious what you mean well water filtered by salt bags. That doesn't sound like anything I would put within 100 feet of my Nepenthes! While Nepenthes can deal with less than ideal water.. if it is softened by sodium it could be highly toxic to plants.

Tony

is it really a girl? if it is a girl then you really need to save it! females are pretty uncommon.

if it's tall, maybe you can cut the vine into sections and try to root the sections.

Todd,

Although your description is good and it seems the others are narrowing down the possible problem, is there any way you can get a photo here for us? It might just help for someone to recognise the problem.

Aaron.

I don't think sea spray is the problem. We are only 2 miles from the beach and our bicals are thriving. I would be more concerned with the repotting issue, water quality, and what may have happened while transporting the plant from Bruce's place to your place. Did it bake in the car for any length of time? Direct sun through a window for the one hour trip home?
Like Tony mentioned, did you water it with the salt-filter water? Water softeners are very bad for all cp. What was Bruce using for a growing media, as compared to your mix? Did you remove it from the pot at his place and transport it home bareroot? All these questions could be factors contributing to the plant crashing. Also, it may not be dying, but going into shock. It still has a chance to make a comeback if the main vine and root system are not severely damaged.

Trent
Boca Raton, Florida

It sounds like lowl humidity and too much direct sunlight to me (hot and dry) Too muhc transpiration may be going on and basically "leaching" the plant of its water. I would certainly protect it from direct light and mkae it nice and shady with moderate temps (like 80-85F) It needs humidity, try to spray it with some distilled water, do NOT use the softened water, it spells death really quick for Nepenthes.

I think NG summerized my thinking also.

Joe

Time for desparate measures = cuttings. Try save the last bit of bical if you can, doesn't mater if the main plant dies, its too risky for the 'healthy part' otherwise the dying plant might just drag all the others (potential cuttings) along.

Jason

I would deffinately NOT cut it!!! Removing the top section from it's roots is not going to help its stress but increase it instead. There is no reason to believe there is a problem with the root system or stem that is causing this. Except perhaps some damage during repotting and the plant is no longer able to absorb enough water to keep the leaf mass turgid. I am sure the roots are still functioning though or the whole plant would have wilted in a matter of hours and flopped to the ground. The problem is they are not functioning to their prior capacity and the plant needs some TLC while it recooperates and makes new roots.

Tony

aaah i guess we were wrong jason, thanks tony!

you could try using b1 or superthrive if you havn't already.

Back