What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. alata, no traps?

Hi All

I have had an N. Alata (could be a hybrid, Don't know for sure) for about a year now. Over the first 8 or nine months I've had it, it has grown, from each of the 6 or 7 vines being about 6 or 8 cm to currently being between 35 and 55 cm long with a few new short vines starting out. All the traps have died and fallen off in the last few months and every time a new one starts to grow it soon dies off before getting very big. None of the vines have died and they seem to have continued to grow the same as always.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can coax this plant into pitchering? Fertilizer? Superthrive? Magic potions? Pagan rituals?

A guy at the local farmers market the sell CPs suggested to prune it but I would prefer to keep the vines going if I can.

Growing Conditions;
It gets very bright indirect light almost all day and direct mid-morning sun through the window for about 2-1/2 hours a day.

6" plastic hanging pot hung over a larger plastic lined basket that always has an inch or so of water in it to provide humidity. The pot does not sit in this water it hangs above it.

I water it with only de-ionized, distilled or rain water, which-ever I have at the time. It is misted every 2 or 3 days.

I do not know the growing medium. It is covered with LFS. Since it has been growing I haven't felt the need to repot. would repotting it help?

Temps in the house range from 55 to 65 to the winter and 65 to 90 during the summer. humidity is fairly constant at around 55% all year.

Sorry I don't have a picture to post.

Thanks
Dan

i wish i could help but all i can say is that if it is a hybrid it's probably a ventrata. try raising your humidity to stay above 60 percent with a humidifier, or put it in a sunny bathroom that gets a shower or two everyday if you can.

I thought that the nightime percentage humidity should be raised to 85-90% at least. daytime humidity of 55% should be acceptable.

Gus

Gus, my experience with Ventrata (which, like JLAP, I suspect this to be if it was bought in a store) is that it really doesn't need high humidity. As T Bone said, it has been growing and pitcher in until lately.

My guess is that it's gotten a little too warm. Ventrata (and also alta, for that matter) is a highland plant. While very durable, it may not pitcher very well if it doesn't get at least some releif from the heat at night.

IME, ventrata will grow in pretty much any temperature as long as it isn't extreme cold or heat. mined growing in mid-high 80's day and low-mid 70's nights. (what's up with these temperate fluctuations? it seems like my day/night avg temp changes from week to week!)

edit- DUH! i just remembered that i opened the air vent in my room so the AC could cool down the room. duh.

Hi
My air temp fluctuate so much because the weather here keeps changing. We'll have an upper eighties day time temps that will drop down into the sixties at night. Also sometimes our air conditioning is on and not at other times. It's unusual, normally our summer temps here are more stable. Hot, hotter and humid! But hey, it is chicago, The only predicable thing about the weather here is that it will happen.

Thanks. . .

Back