What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Omg!  campanulata in flower!

schloaty

Staff member
Holy Schnikies! My very first nep scape! I don't know what to do! PANIC PANIC PANIC
** pant pant **
camp%20in%20flower%201.jpg

camp%20in%20flower%202.jpg

Seriously, folks, I have no idea what sex it is...But I would dearly love to either send the pollen to someone, or get some pollen from someone...Help a brother out, here!

woah now that is cool! it looks like an evil asparagus of death..
can we see a pic of the whole plant?

that is really, really cool. just don't cross it with veitchii, since that's already been done.

oh, i think Tony has a hamata in flower. can you imagine N. campanulata x hamata? what a cool intermediat nep THAT would be! i hope your's is a female!

Cool!!! Hey, I've got a Maxima in flower right now, a male. Let me know if you want pollen!

Capslock

Very cool to see these rare species flowering!

Hello

Let me know if it is female I have a male N. campanulata just about to open.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] it looks like an evil asparagus of death
Only you, JLAP, only you... ROFL!
laugh.gif

Wow guys, I have receivd several pollen offers already, and I barely posted this 10 hours ago!
biggrin.gif

Can anyone id the sex of my camp yet, or is it too soon?

At any rate, I have two offers for camp pollen, one for Maxima so far. I must admit, I'm torn. Don't know if I want to propagate pure species, or do some hybridizing. I was thinking about this last night (kept me up, to be honest, lol). One of the crosses I came up with was camp x ventricosa (or the other way, depending on my sex)....Hopefully to accentuate the waisting and create some color patterns.

More questions: how long will it take for the flowers to open? How long do they stay open? Assuming it's female, for the sake of argument, how soon do I need to arrange for the pollen transfer?

Sorry to pepper you guys, but this is my first one, and I don't want to blow it!

David, you sound so much like a newbie when they see their first flower...
biggrin.gif
Nice to see even a 'pro' can have surprises and milestones to cross. Good luck!
smile.gif

Jason

Well, you can probably do both pure- bred and hybrid if all the opportunities present themselves.
Personally, an army of N. campanulata with new genetic variability(well, as far as the 24 clones of Malesiana can take it) seems more lucrative to me. A hamata hybrid also seems promising....

Cheers,

Joe

after i first noticed the flower stalk on my 'Miranda' it took about 1.5 to 2 weeks for the first open flower. i cut the first stalk off and sent it to Pyro, i think he still has it sitting in a glass of water just to see what happens. i do have a second stalk flowering now. let me know if you are interested in pollen. or anyone else who is interested PM me cause ill prolly just cut the stalk off in the next week or 2 to save stress on my plant if no one is interested.

Rattler

Looks like only a couple flowers are going to open. The rest look like they are not going to develop (but I could be wrong). Female flowers should be pollenated soon after opening.. ie a few days or so. So best to have pollen ready. I can't tell which yours will be. The buds on both sexes of N. campanulata are very similar. Rough estimate?? hmm another week or 2 before they open..

T

'K guys, I'll keep everyone posted...I'll take more pics as thing develope.

I'm leaning towards making a hybrid if there's only a few flowers, mostly because I already have the species, but also because I find hybrids easier to grow. Camps are just so flimsy!

Caps, maxima could be cool, especially considering the uppers on a maxima....Hmmmmm....

I am surprised we have not seen more seed floating around of campanulata and hybrids. There are 24 supposedly random clones that mature quickly and that have been around for years.
Keep us posted, schloaty.

Joe

PS Does anyone know where my avatar went?

oh c'mon, it DOES look like an evil asparagus of death! i wouldn't eat it though..

Dave S. has sone Judith Finn pollen, if your is a female you might be interested in that.

an easy plant would be camp. x gracilis, but i've never seen gracilis pollen offered, wierd.

How exciting! That looks really different to me. Very long for having no flowers open yet.

I have a dark red tobaica starting to flower. I'm not sure what
sex it is. This is its first flower and seems shorter than other
Nep flowers I have seen. I'm thinking it is probably male. First
flower should open soon.

-- steve

srduggins: if yours turns out to be female there seems to be several ppl with pollen. i have Miranda and someone posted in the trade forum that they have pollen from a veitchii hybrid. i believe there are a few more male plants in bloom yet from other members.

Rattler

Rattler

Yup, I've got N. maxima pollen ready to go for whoever can use it! I was hoping schloaty's would turn out female.

Capslock

Back