What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New neps!

(Also posted this on CPUK...)

At last, been waiting for these for quite some time. Arrived this morning:

N. adnata
N. clipeata (clone 2)
N. clipeata (clone U)
N. pervillei

Any suggestions about them?

I have potted them up:

N. adnata - mix of pumice-type and live sphagnum moss
N. pervillei - half a pot of pumice-type topped with live sphagnum moss (I gather is grows on thin substrates over granite)
N. clipeata - my "normal" lowland nep mix of half branded orchid compost and live sphagnum moss

They are all in my lowland tanks (20-35C) to settle into the new compost for the moment.

Any brilliant tips about any of these that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Rob Howe.

Hi Rob-Rah:

It'd be interesting to see how well the pervillei grows in your lowland tank, since i consider the littles beasts strict intermediates.

Gus

Good luck on N. pervillei. I hear it is near impossible to keep going well.

It's a moderate lowland tank really. Not excessively hardcore "jungley".

Once the pervillei is established it will probably find itself summering in the greenhouse with my highlanders - I believe (though correct me if wrong) that it wants lots of sun if possible, which a lowland tank generally doesn't allow.

If it doesn't like the lowland tank then its other option is a 10-12C minimum tank over winter. We shall see......

I can't wait to see how the clips do Thats like in my top 5 of most favorite neps. So where did you get them? if you don't mind me asking....you can om me where if you don't want to post it

They all came from Andreas Wistuba, in Germany.

I like the looks of clipeatas too. I do hope they establish painlessly. Repotting new neps is a worrying time for me...

Hi Rob
Nice little collection of newbies there.
Whats the difference between clones 2 and u then? as i do like the look of Clipeata and it doesnt get to big?

Bye for now Julian

Rob-Rah,

Sounds like the right requirements9temp wise) for all those. I know nothing of pervillei, but the others do not like it real hot, so i think you are on the right course.

Joe

Please keep us posted on the N. pervelli. I've been wanting this plant for a while now. I spent my honeymoon in the Seychelles. Didn't go to the islands with the Neps. It was before I was bit by the CP bug.

Glenn

Glen,

How hot was it there? Well, I guess they probably grow higher than you were at.

Joe

Clipeata is so nearly extinct that there is a project underway to list all the known clones in cultivation, so that a scheme can be planned to cross them with each other and create a generically varied progeny for future preservation. I think therefore that clonal ststus may signify the genetic distinction rather than horticultuaral excellence or anything even necessarily visibly very different.

Clone U is pictured here:
http://www.jurassic-gardens.com/gallery/clipeata2.jpg

I can't find a pic explicitly of clone 2, but I doubt it's terribly different. Wait a few years and maybe I can take some...
biggrin.gif

Hi Rob
Thanx for that and the board is marked for 2006 for the clipeata photos from Rob
smile_n_32.gif

Bye for now Julian

Back