What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vine cellar project

Hi there,

i want to built up a highland nepenthes terrarium since I've started cultivating CP's. Now I have the ultimate place (or not?) for this. A vine cellar. There's a constant temperature of 12-15°C in Summer even if outside temperature is 30°C!! In winter the Temperature is about 10-13°C. So I want to built a 114x60x80cm terrarium. I'm going to built a terrarium just out of wood and then I will line this with pond film. For illumination I thought about a 400W metal halide lamp. For extra cooling I'll build a fog machine and for extra heating I'll have a 40W heat cable.

What do you think about this idea?

mfG
Max

I think your nominal summer and winter temps would be ideal at night, but without a swing upward in temp during the day the plants might suffer as a result. Any other ideas out there?

-Homer

Hi Homer,

with the heat cable and with the heat produced by the lamp the temperature will go upwards certainly.

mfG
Max

In that case, I wish I had a wine cellar
smile.gif
But seriously though, that is an excellent idea, and be sure to post pics when you get it up and running.

Best of luck!

Homer

Hi there,

now I've finished building the terrarium (sorry for the ***kin quality)
confused.gif

I fixed a pond foil on boards. Then the whole terrarium was painted with wall color.

terrarium.jpg

and the fogger.
It consists of 2 computer ventilator and 2 ultrasonic humidifier.

fogger.jpg

All will be illuminated by a 400W metal halide lamp.
So in 2-3 weeks I can order some plants.
smile.gif

Cheerio,
Max

Looks like a nice job constructing! It will be interesting to see how cool you get at night. The foggers will do a nice job on humidifying but not sure they will do much for cooling. Keep us posted as it comes along.
Tony

if you need to cool it at night still, you can get an aquarium cooler, turn it on about 30 minutes before lights shut off, that way the humidity will be cold and cool down the tank.

just an idea.

Tony.. there is a picture of the terrarium placed in the cellar.

fertig.jpg

JustLikeAPill.. what is an aquarium cooler? Can you give me a link of a picture?

In only 2 min the fogger decreased the temperature from 18.6°C to 18.1°C. So I think it will do its job of cooling.

mfG
Max

Last but not least, everything is finished now.
Yesterday I got my first plants from Christian Klein:
H. minor x heterodoxa
N. burbidgeae
N. ephippiata
N. hamata
N. sibuyanensis
N. tentaculata

With the fogger I get a temperature of 14°C now, but in winter the temperature will certainly decade.
Lets see if the plants do well!

Cheers,
Max

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For extra cooling I'll build a fog machine

How did you build the fogger? I am curious.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if you need to cool it at night still, you can get an aquarium cooler, turn it on about 30 minutes before lights shut off, that way the humidity will be cold and cool down the tank.

How do you cool a terrarium with a chiller? A chiller has an inlet and an outlet for the water to run through. It constantly recirculates the water from the aquarium through the chiller and back to the aquarium. That being said, how do you cool air with a chiller?

Hi there,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How did you build the fogger? I am curious.

The fogger consists of 2 ultrasonic humidifier. They are laid in a 35cm*35cm*20cm plastik box. I cut 2 holes into the lid and in each hole there's a computer ventilator. One pushes the air into the terrarium and the other sucks this air into the fogger again.

For cooling at night I have an extra ventilator in the right hole of the terrarium. The tube which sucks the air out of the terrarium at day sucks now cool air from the ground, which is normally 1-2°C below the normal temperature in the cellar, into the fogger. The cool humid air gets into the terrarium and with the strong extra ventilator there's a good cooling.

Have a nice day!
Cheers,
Max

Back