What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peristromes pics

Hi Joe,
As it was explained to me-whatever beat the fungus also beat the Nepenthes
smile_h_32.gif

I've heard about these mericlonings, but I also heard yield was low and somewhat impractical-so far. I know for a fact there have been some breakthroughs very recently as well. But I wonder if the N. allardii are mericlones, or the result from selected seed when something was crossed onto allardii?

Trent

Trent,

I asked a local TC company, that I know does CPs, about the mericloning but got no direct response.

What I did find out from them was that the N. 'Allardii' we have commercially available here is originally from seed donated to the grower by a local hobbyist many years ago.

I'm not very up to pace on TC.....So…. would that indicate that there are some male and female plants that the growers have and they are TC'ing from the produced seed?

If so would that mean that there are possibly male and female plants available?

Although outside the scope of this topic, I do have more leads as to tracing down the original plant and where it came from (I know who donated the original seed and will try contacting them just for my own curiosity).

Aaron.

Hi Aaron,
That would be interesting to know. It would also answer the question as to whether N. allardii is a single cultivar, or in fact a grex name post N. Tiveyi.

Trent

Trent,

I paid a visit to Triffid Park last week.

They confirmed that some/all (?) of their Neps are mericloned and it is done locally. I did not want to press too much about who or where.

I did come across another thread here in which someone mentioned that once the plants are in tissue culture it is easier to mericlone from them as the stem material is already contaminant free.

Aaron.

Aaron,

x Tiveyi should refer to the maxima x veitchii hybrid done by the Veitch nursery in the 19th century. However, it seems that later crosses of maxima x veitchii have been named after the original cross. Accordingly, there are all sorts of variants running around as x Tiveyi, and it would be almost impossible to tell whether it's descended from a cutting of the original cross or a later one. You get generic names like x Hookeriana which is used to refer to any cross of rafflesiana and ampullaria (because it's a natural hybrid).

Thanks Hamish,
My opinion exactly. I find it somewhat questionable to name remakes after the old Victorian originals. I know it's been done, but at least the breeder qualified the grex as a remake: ie. N. dicksoniana (Australia). This is a remake of the old Victorian hybrid of rafflesiana x veitchii...made in Australia. The Mansell's also have made this cross, but simply refer to it as (rafflesiana 'Kondo' x veitchii 'lowland'). This certainly differentiates their remakes from the old originals. I take a similar position on the N. Allardii question. By naming the grex N. Allardii, the breeder certainly seperates those plants from all other max x veitchii. These crosses were made a long time ago, and to avoid confusion, I see them as "grandfathered in". The same for the Japanese hybrids. Anyone hybridizing Nepenthes today should be using the cultivar naming methods described by the ICPS on their website. In quick summary: the hybrid bears the cross parentage, female clone named first. If the there are superior clones that stand out from the rest of the grex, then give them cultivar names-not a pseudo-scientific name- and write up a description for publication(or have someone else do it).

Also, thanks for the info on the mericloning. If you find out more, let us know.

Trent

Very nice pics Bill!! Thanks for posting them. Nive highland vietchii.

Your Tiveyi, or max x vietch, or whatever they want to call it looks exactly like mine.
nt.jpg

maximavietchiismall.jpg

I guess it's better to have it and not know what to call it, than the opposite. hehehe
smile_m_32.gif

Do you grow it as a highland or lowland?
Thanks,
Robin

Robin,
It's totally outrageous!!! I think it should be called N. Tiveyii 'R. L. Hirst', or simply, Nepenthes 'R. L. Hirst': it deserves cultivar status.
Right now, Michelle and I are in the process of writing articles describing new Nepenthes cultivars. Be in touch.

Trent

Aaron,
Thanks for finding out about the mericloning (I mentioned this in my comments to SydneyNeps). True mericlones such as from the Allardii would come from the apical meristem(growth point) of the plant rather than from a seed. This is how an established cultivar can be mass produced. I know this has been done, but only just recently, and the exact specifics are proprietary info.

Trent

Just to add to the confusion...
Trying to find out more info on this plant,and after hearing the description of N allardii, I found this pic http://www.triffidpark.com.au/htm_pag....ap1.jpg of N Allardii from triffid park.
Then I dug up this old pic of my plant when it was young...I'll let you decide, but I'm convinced this is the plant I am growing. Sorry about the confusion.
My apologies to everyone I traded cuttings with, and you to Gus
smile_m_32.gif

You now have N. Allardii. ( I think ;))
Robin
PIC1.jpg

rlhirst,

How about I add even more confusion for you!?

That picture by Triffid park, is quite removed from what most of the N. 'Allardii' they offer look like.  This could be due to age, form (since there are varying forms) or growing conditions.

TP say they have 2 different forms of the Allardii.  Both have striped peristomes but with varying colours.  They were even more surprised when I told them that my TP Allardia had no visible stripes on the peristome at all and was nowhere near as red in colour overall (I keep mine in high natural light equal to or greater than what TP keep them in).

Even when looking at 100’s of them during my visit last week I could see quite  a large range of variations in pitcher appearance.

Now, I think this is explained in part by the mericloning.  If I understand it correctly there must be some donor, or parent plants, here.  I then assuming they must vary slightly which gives us the variation in the Allardi clones that TP then on-sell.

The thing I guess is near on impossible to find out is where the donor/parent plants came from to start with.  I was given a lead to someone that supposedly introduced the first seed here in Aus. but I was unable to get a response about that.

I'd say Hamish pretty much summed it up, in that unless the plant is descendant from the original hybrid then it is not ACTUALLY Allardii or Tiveyii but simply a very closely parented from.

Aaron.

Here is what the ICPS database has to say:

N: ~[Nepenthes allardii {Hort.Lynch ex Bonst.}]
P: Parey Blumeng.1.ed.1:664 (1931)
S: =[[Nepenthes veitchii {Hook.f.}] * [Nepenthes maxima {Reinw. ex Nees}]]
C: later synonym of [Nepenthes tiveyi {Hort.Veitch ex Mast.}]
GR: Tiveyi Group {Fleming}
GRP: Carniv.Pl.Newslett.8:10 (1979)
B: Allard, 1897

N: [Nepenthes tiveyi {Hort.Veitch ex Mast.}]
P: Gard.Chron.3.ser.22:201 (1897)
S: =[[Nepenthes maxima {Reinw. ex Nees}] * [Nepenthes veitchii {Hook.f.}]]
GR: Tiveyi Group {Fleming}
GRP: Carniv.Pl.Newslett.8:12 (1979)
B: G.Tivey, Chelsea, 1897

N: ~[Nepenthes wittei {auct. non Elm.: Y.Fukatsu}]
P: List of Nepenthes Hybr.:7 (1999)
S: =[[Nepenthes maxima {Reinw. ex Nees}] * [Nepenthes veitchii {Hook.f.}]]
C: later synonym of [Nepenthes tiveyi {Hort.Veitch ex Mast.}]

The problem is that offspring produced from seed (sexual reproduction) can look quite different, depending on both the genetics of each parent and that of the resulting siblings. All of the plants resulting from crossing maxima x veitchii (or veitchii x maxima) can be called N. x tiveyi (vice N. x allardii). So it is not surprising that these plants having the same hybrid name appear different. Only when a particular plant is cloned, then each individual would have the same appearance if grown under identical conditions, but they may look different when grown under different conditions.

LOL!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
 thanks Bob, and Aaron....veitchii x maxima it is then!
Hmmm,
You know this brings me back to the real reason I enjoy these plants. It's the mystery each plant holds. I am continually awestruck by the unique design and shape of each, and I tend to find the science behind it all sometimes gets in the way of that.

My 2 cents,
Robin:)

Robin,
I'm left totally speechless by that plant. I have a little maxima x veitchii cutting (labeled as such) and I can only hope that one day it can exist in the same room as that thing. OMG

Capslock

Robin,
I've seen a few Tiveyi's in my time, as well as the remake done by the Mansell's of maxima x veitchii. You mentioned you selected it from amongst a group of seedlings. You have chosen well.

Trent

Thanks guys,
Caps, you obviously have the skills. I'm sure yours will be equally impressive ( would like to see pics of the little guy).:) Give me a year or so, and I'll have a cutting for you.
smile_m_32.gif

Trent I'll pm you
smile_m_32.gif

Back