What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes...that hard?

Hello everyone!
Just need your advice on this.

In my ever-enduring quest to impress my *cough cough* colleages and provide a confortable stay to my CPs (away from my cats!!!!), I decided to build a terrarium. Now, filling it with Drosera...but I am ready for the ultimate test?!?  *drum roll* The Nepethes!

Well, what do you think?  Too hard for a neophyte?

nepenthes? ultimate test? BAH! Neps are pussycats once you know how to work them the right way
smile.gif
Ultimate test would be growing a Triphyophyllum peltatum successfully.

since your just now wading into the digestive juices of neps, i'd suggest starting with a Ventrata, it's colorful, cheap, available everywhere, is low humidity tolerant, grows in a wide array of temperatures, and it's almost bombproof.

if you'r terrarium is a true lowland terrarium, why not start with N. gracilis? it's small, can be colorful, you can't kill it if you tried, and it grows at the speed of light.

i don't think nepenthes are too hard for anyone as long as you can give them what they need, and the lowlanders and most hybrids don't ask for much. Highlanders and Ultrahighlanders are another matter completely though, they are picky picky picky and require cool days and cold nights.

JLAP is right. While different neps thrive in radically different conditions, if you just get the right nep for your conditions, they're as easy as any CP.

If you can estimate what temperatures your tank will keep, there will be a great number of neps that we can identify that will work. Oh, an that N. x ventrata will pretty much go anywhere.

Capslock

I may also suggest N. x rokko and N. ventricosa

N. sanguinea is very easy too, and grows quite fast.

Thanks! Taking note.

Ah, I'm afraid they aren't "available everywhere", I live in Canada, and beleive me, importing live plants is trouble. So I either grow them from seed (which can be shipped without those problems) or find them somewhere that's already in Canada.

So far, the only shop that I know who carries nepethes is www.carnivorousplants.ca and it's not exactly cheap, nor does it have most of the speacies you named.

Advice, suggestions?

Miranda has been easy for me as has rafflesiana. my gracilis, Ventrata and Rokko look like they are going to be weeds. Coccinea and Wrigleyana are easy as is Ile de France. most any hybrid that has a lowland parent or some of the more adabtable highlands would be a good one to start with. come one ppl we should be able to name one he can find in the north country. any listed on that site should be easy but a warning on truncata, it can be a sllllllllooooooowww grower. its pitchers, however, are very nice. $15 is expensive? man i spent $50 on a veitchii cutting not long ago.

Rattler

It mostly depends on the size of them, when I ordered Droseras and Dionaeas, they were pretty small.

I've seen more expensive shops, just as I've seen cheaper.
Though I must admit I am quite pleased at the health of those plants and the haste the staff displayed.

So, between Judith Finn, rafflesiana, sanguinea, truncata and ventricosa. I guess you guys suggest the ventricosa?

Isn't it considered a highland type though?

Do they have Lowes Department store in Quebec? If so, they often bring in N. ventricosa. That was where I bought my first Nep. Still alive after 9 months.

well, plants don't read books so they don't know if they are highlands or lowlands. ventricosa is very adaptable.

tell a Villosa that i said that it doesn't know if it's a highland or a lowland and it might want to argue...

Although Ventricosa is a highlander, it grows great here in the lowlands. In my opinion it grows even better than x ventrata and it is prettier too. But, maybe I am just ventrata-over saturated
smile.gif

Truncatas are not really slow, if you keep them warm and sunny, visit my Time Lapse Page, it's a great beginners plant IMHO.
Volker

I think there's no "Lowes" outside the US.
Hum hum, need more luck.

Nice timelapse, Volker!!

Capslock

Ok, so one Ventricosa to my list =)

Now since I'm making an order, I might as well make it worthy, would a Rafflesiana have what it takes to survive me? And would it be ok in the same terrarium as the Ventricosa? Or am I better to go with the Sanguinea?

Decisions decisions!

(Another thing please, Nep take less light than most CPs right? So since I'm building right now a terrarium to put everything in, should I stick with the "2 tubes per 6 inches" rule or have one tube per 6 inches?)

Thanks!

I would look to the sanguinea, as it has the same temp requirements as the ventricosa, and is also much more humidity-tollerant than the raf.

Actualy my raff will pitcher and grow in 50 degree nights outdoors although it slows him down,has tolerated down to 45 before as well.:O So realy it`s a matter of personal opinion wich do YOU want?Personally I like N.rafflesiana better then N.sanguinea although the latter is definately the faster growing!

Back