What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowlands/highlands/intermediates?

Hey guys - got a question for you. I've just got a big 20gal aquarium from a friend and I am deciding upon whether I want to try to make this a highland tank, intermediate tank or lowlander tank (decisions decisions!!) I already have a lowlander tank which is doing great but I was wondering about changing things around for this one. What are the requirments for Intermediates? Are we talking keeping them as strict as highlanders with a night cooling period, or not? would being kept in high humidity levels and heat (ie say humidity 100% and temps in the low 80's to 90's during the day with drops to the 70's at night be harmful to the Intermeds?  what about hybrids? if i made this strictly another lowlander tank, are the hybrids with a lowlander and highland cross dependent on a drop in temperature at night (like their pure highland counterparts?), or is it because they  have a lowlander heritage, that they would prefer higher temps and  humidity?  I know i could look all this stuff up, but i figure i would come to the BEST sources of info (you guys!)  By the way, does anyone have preferances in terms of hybrids?  Thanks!
Nick    
smile.gif

Nick,
I'd go with whatever you can easiest provide conditions for. Where is the tank going? What are the temperatures there if you put a light on it and did nothing else? 20 gal isn't all that big, so if you consider it a long-term solution, select smaller neps. The farther from your natural conditions you go, the more you have to do to provide the right conditions.

Capslock

my terrarium is 75 gallons and it's much too small IMO. some highlanders stay small longer, much much longer. and a 20 gallon tank is alot easier to cool than a large tank.

there are a few lowlanders that stay small , but you said you already have a lowland tank, so i would make it a highland tank, however i still think it's too small in the long run.

A 20 gal also heats up quicker and has less air movement than a 75, so I guess it depends on how you are going to cool/heat, ect. You may have to do a little of both, as the 20 degree night time drop is important for some highlanders, and they can take upper 70s as long as it is @60 at night.

Joe

Back