What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picture time again?

Tony,

Have you ever tried a comparison between orchid bark and cocohusk chips for your mix?

Cheers,

Joe

I haven't done any major trials growing plants in bark chips vs cocohusk chips.  I used orchid bark initially and while it works fine for making the mix a bit chunkier it decomposed very fast.  I like the coconut chips for several reasons.

Decomposition is very slow (several years or more)
They hold more moisture than bark chips.. almost like little sponges, while simultaneously increasing drainage,airation, and moisture holding capacity.
Roots can actually penetrate and grow into them, unlike hard bark chips.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lithopsman @ Aug. 19 2004,12:05)]
smile_n_32.gif
 True. I am partial to plants with openings, stickiness, or fast motion closings.  
smile_n_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

(just don't tell Dino)
Nepenthes dont eat bugs?
smile_n_32.gif
lol
Dont tell Dino, lol
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Or are you talking about orchids?
Orchids MAY actually be semi-carnivorous, because they eat dead bugs that are dead in thier soils.
Dino
cool.gif

I eat bugs... =X Anyway, so more plants are going to be hitting the market eh? Hopefully the price will drop. =P

I think we all eat bugs whenever we eat hot dogs or processed flour products....

smile_t_32.gif

Tony, that is a pretty good observation, I think. I will start buying more coco products.

Cheers,

Joe

i eat bugs when i eat rice :p . you cant wash them all out, lol.

id think you'd be eating a little more than bugs while your eating hot dogs
laugh.gif

are you talking about the coco coir that pft sells? so far, im curently useing chunks of coco, not fiber so they are pretty hard. do you have any experiance with coconut chunks and will it do my neps any good? thanks. Zongyi

Thanks Rob,
That was a lot of help for my records!
smile.gif

I like the coco chunks but haven't used them with cps. I also use the coco fiber cut into small squares which creat air pockets. The fiber does become absorbent after a few months,but at first its hard to notice any absorbtion.

Joe

Back