What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. muluensis lowers - pic

Tony & amigos:

This pic was taken about six mos ago, prior to moving this plant on to a much larger pot, but you can see that it has very dark lower traps.

Nepenthes%20muluensis%20MT-EP.jpg

And the uppers definitely get lighter-colored as the plant climbs higher.

SJ

Wow! That's awesome Stone Jaguar! This may be my next species.

Now, you say you moved it to a MUCH LARGER pot? Why? That one is pretty big! Does this species like huge pots?

Casplock

SJ,
Phenomenal pitcher/leaf ratio! It looks like a bunch of pitchers sitting on the soil surface, like bowling pins!
Do you live in a montane area of Guatamala, then?

Cheers,

Joe

PS I was just curious, since your outdoor conditions seem really good, are there native cp in the area?

Joe:

Yes, the house is at about 1,580 m.a.s.l. (if memory serves), backed by forested ravine. Guatemala City appears to provide an excellent climate for highland Neps.

This plant does seem to spread once established, and has responded very favorably to a larger pot (I use inverted pot within a pot technique to avoid "dead" areas in the lower strata of the medium). I am trying to obtain some cutting of the dwarf rhododendron that occurs up there too, Vireya burttii to use as a live trellis for this species. Very showy and elegant companion! Still no luck, but I have some feelers out in the Vireya community in the U.S.

Nearest CP's that I am aware of are a colony of Pinguicula mesophytica about an hour and one-half away, as well as aquatic Utrics scattered about seeps in the central highlands. Many gorgeous Orcheosanthus Pings here - ALL taxonomically problematical.

Ciao/SJ

Hi SJ,

really a wonderful plant. What plants do you grow outside?
(Take more photos of the plant please
smile.gif
)

mfG
Max

Very beutiful! Is this species very closely related to N.tentaculata,and N.hamata?

Max & pb:

About 35 spp. of Neps & two hybrids. Will post additional photos as time and local conditions permit. Thanks for your commentary.

Yes, Nepenthes muluensis is considered a sib sp. to N. tentaculata. I am not sure how closely related both are to N. hamata - they certainly look very similar - but I'm sure that there are many in this forum that are better informed.

SJ

This species is closely related to Ne. tentaculata. So the only known natural hybrid of muluensis is with tentaculata (x sarawakensis). The lower pitchers of muluensis have nearly the same shape like these of tentaculata.
The species can only be found on borneo. So it's not related to hamata that is distributed in Sulawesi.

mfG
Max

Um.N.hamata is very closely related to N.tentaculata so if N.muluensis is related to N.tentaculata then it`s also closely related to N.hamata Right?

Very nice looking plant.

SJ Have you spoke with OL in Minnesota about the Rhododendrons? They carry some, I don't know if they have the exact one you're looking for. That was my plan as well once my plant got some size and I had a new larger grow chamber!

Anyway, that's a really great looking N. muluensis! Mine is so slow to perform. Does the deep red color of the whole plant come with age?

Mines growing in, foggy, bright and cool conditions for about a year now but still only colored in the pitchers and tendrils. But it is young, only about 8-10 cm in diameter.

Does it increase it's growth speed once it reaches a certain size (like N. hamata who seems to really take off once it reaches about 15 -20 cm in diameter)? Or does it continue to grow slow until it finally begins to vine?

Psst... If you have any pics of the uppers from your N. muluensis that would be great to see!
smile.gif

Looking nice ;> Is that one of Wistuba plants?

N. muluensis is not the fastest grower for me either although once it starts to vine it will get pretty tall pretty quick. Nor are they really big plants. Off the top of my head I would say 5" diameter or so. Coloring will depend on the clone Swords, along with the temperature and light levels.
Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Aug. 17 2004,9:09)]Anyway, that's a really great looking N. muluensis! Mine is so slow to perform. Does the deep red color of the whole plant come with age?

Mines growing in, foggy, bright and cool conditions for about a year now but still only colored in the pitchers and tendrils. But it is young, only about 8-10 cm in diameter.
Hi,

very nice plant SJ!

@Josh my clone from Wistuba only colours up like this during summer when light levels are very high. During winter the leafes are more green in colour.

Cheers Joachim

Hi SJ:

Now i know where to go when I leave Australia. Actually, the South American Andes may give a similar climate to grow these highlanders.

Tony:

This muluensis is all dark. Much different from the one you showed us a couple of nights ago

Gus

Hi SJ
Great looking plant with an amazing colour to it.

Bye for now julian

Great looking plant- with so many pitchers!
smile_n_32.gif

How long did get to that size and how big was it when you got it?

cheers

bill

Thanks for the compliments, gentlemen.

Swords - OL does not have the "dwarf" Vireya spp. that you need to work with these elfin forest/blang inhabiting Neps. I suggest that you familiarize yourself with these mossy forest rhodos prior to planting them with your CP's, since most don't flower well until they're too big for our purposes. There are some gorgeous dwarf rhodos from Borneo, Sumatra & PNG that, judiciously mixed up with Lycopodiums and some of the Malesian terrestrial "jewel" orchids, will make a great group planting with some of the smaller, clambering Neps (mikei, muluensis, tentaculata, densiflora, diatas, etc.).

This, IMO, is the way to really showcase these fascinating plants.

Tony - this is a plant from Geoff Mansell so, presumably, it's the same thing that you have. I obtained it as a small rooted cutting in Oct. 2000. Did nothing for more than a year, then started producing basal rosettes about 18 mos ago. The ones pictured are now going aerial, with a few new basals starting to emerge now.

Upper pitchers faded during the transplant, although a new one is starting to expand - looks like it will be mostly white - will post a pic when open.

Light & UV levels here are predictably high, and plants color up well when properly exposed (they also burn pretty easily, too ;>)

Cheerio/SJ

Back