What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sap on my neps pitchers

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Ok I know they produce nectar BUT...............
it is like syrup at the base of my dieing pitchers. I asked my wife and nobody has touched them today. They are out of childrens reach anyway. It is very sticky and globy. No, I did not care to taste it either.
BTW it is a N. 'Miranda'

confused.gif

Joe

It's not unusual for the outsides of nep pitchers to have a few nectar glands but a couple species (and hybrids) have a good number on the outsides of them. Especially in hot, muggy weather N. Miranda pitchers will actually stick to my hand as I reach into my chamber to tend to things. My old big N. bical was the same way in the hottest part of summer. If I grab a big Miranda pitcher in my palm it will be coated with nectar. It doesn't have any flavor but it does taste sweet.

As long as the bottom of the dried up pitcher is still supple or "alive" (not dried and shriveled) I suppose the nectar glands will also still be active as it slowly dries up completely.

Did it make your tongue tingle josh?

I love how so many posts mention the flavor of CP secretions.

i think sarr and nep. nectar is sickenly sweet. it makes my tongue feel.. strange .. not tingly but definately strange.

huh, my reply didn't show up...

anyway, N. miranda didn't make my tongue tingle but was just sweet. It was N. sanguinea "orange" which I thought made my tongue feel kinda tingly. I should try it again... they're all dripping during this hot & muggy time of the year!
smile.gif

When I first heard people talk about tasting their nep nectar I thought they were totally nuts but then the first thing I did the next time I tended my plants was...

Nepenthes nectar are sweet.

I have tasted almost all my Neps (talk about CP addiction).

Back