What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heeeeeeeeellllppp!

Hi guys!  I am sweating bullets here since a friend who shall remain nameless please kindly sent me 6 or 7 N. campulata, 2 N. albo-marginata and a N. argenti.

One N. albo-marginata and one N. campanulata lacks roots.

The N. campanulata are quarter sized rosettes.  N. argenti is about the size of a 3 month VFT seedling.  The N. albo-marginata are silver dollar sized.

This was unlooked for and I am looking for advice as to how best establish these babies.  All are currently in a domed salad bowl that has nice established and growing LFS, and is very clean.  I assume this will be a good nursery, at least short term.  The plants are on the lowermost shelf ogf my grow room, but it can still hit 80F there.  Things wil be cooling down at night: already my outdoor highland Neps are pitchering again after just sitiing there all summer.

It was amusing to see that with the packaging of the first boxes of plants I have been able to send out in ages, this package should arrive the same day.  I guess I should just expect it, since it has happened so many times.

So I will finally have my crack at N. argentii.  It has one good leaf less than a cm long, and a root.  I am not overly optimistic, but it is exciting to have this plant at last.  I've done more with less!

I hope to be able to offer the plants at some time in the future, so wish me success!

i didn't even know you grew neps
smile_k_ani_32.gif

all i can say is that's quite a nice gift and i'd treat the rootless neps as cuttings.

congrats Tamlin. im pretty sure albomarginata is a lowland and is quite easy to grow from my understanding. i have yet to mess with Neps that small though. i would guess just keep humidity nice and high. my understanding is even most highlanders can take warmer temps when young.

Rattler

Tam,
My N. campanulata, N. clipeata and N. macrophylla all arrived rootless. I just cut off the dried portion and got them each in pots of LFS and put em where they belong (climate wise) and now they're all doing just fine, no losses.

Good luck! Especially with the argentii!

well the camp and the albo are lowlands so put them in lowland conditions and treat them like cuttings...as everyone else said
smile.gif
thats some gift you got
biggrin.gif
The plants that have roots should be in high humidity since they're so small. IME small plants like that can dry out really fast....

Thanks for the input! I do failrly well with Nepenthes considering my conditions. I didn't realize that N. campanulata was a lowlander and the breakdown really helps. I will do my homework tonight now that I am a little more relaxed.

no problem, I hope everything turns out great....

Witht that many camps you should do like a 20 gallon species only display tank... that would ROCK!!!!!

ooh.. i should plurge on camps next time and make a species only tank.. good idea!

you can grow them as intermediates too, i think.

yea I wanna do that too.. just need the funds... maybe after I finish my ceph species tank...

Tamlin,

Suggest you try the N. argentii in LFS alone.  We've been doing trials here with several different media for that species and the LFS is turning out best.  It's not very clear in the photo below perhaps but the plants in LFS are outperforming the others which are in various media varying from pure sand to coconut based media.

Good luck!

argentii_trials.jpg

Hi,

where you place rootless plants strongly depends on the humidty in your normal setup. What works well for Josh doesn't work for me. The humidity in my terrarium is too low for rootless seedlings. I place them in a closed plastic bag untile they have rooted.

@Rob: How high are the light levels in your N. argentii growing area? My plant is grown in a very bright spot and seems to dislike it not getting bigger in size (which of course could also be caused by other reasons).

Cheers Joachim

I can only really offer advice on the campanulata, since my albo isn't doing anything, and I JUST got the argentii,

Camps are true lowlanders. I have mine growing with my bical, amp and raf. The pitchers are flimsy, too, so don't feed them too much at once (if you feed them). A too-large meal is one of the quickest ways to kill a camp pitcher.
Camps also seem to grow better in brighter conditions. I haven't tried to acclimate to full sun, but mine is flowering now since it started to receive some morning sun. Don't know if that was the trigger, but the darn thing looks really happy.
smile.gif

Schloaty:

campanulata may grow well in lowland conditions, but so does it in intermediate conditions!. In my opinion, the true lowlanders are N. bical, N. ampullaria, N. bellii, N. sumatrana and couple of other cold intolerant plants.

Gus

Wow thats very neat Rob.
Bye for now julian

Gus,
Huh. Never really tried it in more intermediate conditions. It is making basal shoots (some distance from the stem, too...weird), so maybe I'll experiment with one of them.

Again, thank you all for the input. I have indeed done my homework now, and all the material is doing well. I did the research earlier on N. agrentii and it is in live LFS. It is very small, but I will do my best with such a mighty gift!

Now I am itching for that "William's Red" ampullaria. I was told my new cutting is clone #25. You do good work Rob!

Good luck Tamlin, out of all the clones of N. ampullaria red, the clone No. 25 is as good as any of them.  If you get your hands on a Williams red (which are still as rare as hen's teeth and somewhat more expensive!) you'll see the difference.  Here is a snap I took this week with a William's red alongside a pretty good clone of the more usual red:

amp_comparison.jpg

Rob you are a very lucky man indeed.

Bye for now julian

Yes, Rob, they are quite expensive. Even as we speak, I have a goon, er, I mean a "P.I." hired to track down the originator of these nice clones, and "talk" some sense into this person, whomever he, I mean they may be.

smile_n_32.gif

All joking aside (hard for me to do), where does "Borneo Sunrise" fit into this scheme? Did I botch that name, btw?

Cheers,

Joe

Back