What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What have been your sucess and possible failures of this summers growth?
Amongst my sucess have been my rajah, villosa, burbidgeae, mira, aristolochioides & macrophylla all putting on loads of new growth.

Plants that still have to get off the starting block are my murudensis (no pitchers), diatas (small growth shrunken lids), species No.2 (no pitchers, attacked by vine weevils
mad.gif
)
and my gymnamphora ( pitchers getting smaller/deformed!).

But I am confident that in the long term these plants will come good. As Neps seem to have a built in settling in period which seem to hold the plants back & them....
smile_m_32.gif

cheers

bill

my bical x amp has settled in as has most of my neps. Ile de France is starting to put out nice pitchers. the Miranda flowered. speckled amp came out of "suspended animation" and now has TWO nice pitchers. rokko and ventrata are becoming weeds. other than a minor leaf sucker problem things have been going good. my veitchii cutting is still looking good. its been a good summer all in all.

Rattler

Well, that's life. We don't have to like it,but it is reality.
I have lost N. inermis, N. muluensis, and N. hamata in the past.

N. lowii is very resistant and so is N. veitchii to temperature fluctuations more than many other highlands.

N. campanulata is producing pitchers with temperatures of 72 F during the day and 63 F at night (again, this is rather an intermediate species instead of a true lowland as mentioned by Nep experts in the past)

N. diatas is doing fine, so is N. mikei, N. singalana, and N. ephippiata (pitchering).

N. species 7 or N. glandulifera is growing like a charm!.

N. pervillei and N. viellardii, perhaps the other true Nepenthes species since these can't hybridize with any other nep are just sitting around.

N. burbidgeae is gaining momentum and it is producing pitchers, copelandii does not seem to be bother with night time temperatures of 55 F at night, considering that it is a philippino species.

so we can go on and on and on.

The challenge is coming soon when summer time hits Oz.

Gus

pervillei.. have any pics? i love this species!

This has been a fantastic summer! Here in San Francisco, we've had a cool, foggy summer, which has kept humidity up, and makes for easy nighttime cooling. All my neps are doing pretty well, except a couple that had some pests. N. hirsuta x veitchii is having a banner summer in my bedroom windowsill.

Also having a good summer are N. aristolochioides, pitchering happily in my living room, N. ventricosa x aristo, maxima x vent, x rokko, and N. hamata.

Capslock

This has been a fantastic summer! Here in San Francisco, we've had a cool, foggy summer, which has kept humidity up, and makes for easy nighttime cooling. All my neps are doing pretty well, except a couple that had some pests. N. hirsuta x veitchii is having a banner summer in my bedroom windowsill.

Also having a good summer are N. aristolochioides, pitchering happily in my living room, N. ventricosa x aristo, maxima x vent, x rokko, and N. hamata.

Capslock

Those 2 can't hybridize with any other Neps? How come?

Joe

well that settles it, i'm definately moving to san fransisco when i'm old enough!!

different number of chromosomes, i guess, SIH

I've had great success with my N. campanulata in extrem lowland condtions (about 90-95 degrees day and 85 degrees night with constant 80%+ humidity) it has even flowered. I lost a N. rafflensiana clone # be-99 due to me forgetting to water it, it was in the back and I sotra forgot about it.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
mad.gif
oh well at least it was super hard to come by. For some reason I have a N. merilliana thats in suspended animation, I have it in pure NZLFS could this be the culprit? almost all my plants are in pure spaghnum and are thriving...

Mine were doing very well until I had to go to the hospital but thankfully I didn`t lose any Neps they just got all ratty looking and lost there pitchers alot of there leafs turned black etc.

All my Neps has excelled during these summer months.

N. Truncata started to produce its normal size pitchers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For some reason I have a N. merilliana thats in suspended animation, I have it in pure NZLFS could this be the culprit?

Hey Flip, how deep is your pot? Meris need a VERY deep pot, as they have a root system that just goes DOWN DOWN DOWN. My 5" or 6" diameter meri is in a 14" deep pot, and the roots reach the bottom! I think that is more likely the culprit, since mine is also in LFS (well, with orchid mix, too).

Also, keep 'em well drained. Deep down in the pot lfs can get soggy, and as Dave mentioned, he mixes in orchid bark, which helps drainage. Also, meris do not like being disturbed at the roots. It's wise to overpot, giving them more time to grow without disturbance. Also, if in doubt, let them go a little on the dry side, but keep the humidity constantly high.
Trent

Somebody mentioned there was a downside to putting a thick layer of perlite or alifor or hydroton or whatever at the bottom of a pot, but I can't remember what it is. Any ideas?
I was thinking of doing bark,hydroton ,course charcoal at the bottom of a deeper pot and the usual mix above.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Sep. 01 2004,3:15)]This has been a fantastic summer! Here in San Francisco, we've had a cool, foggy summer, which has kept humidity up, and makes for easy nighttime cooling. All my neps are doing pretty well, except a couple that had some pests. N. hirsuta x veitchii is having a banner summer in my bedroom windowsill.

Capslock
Cough... *looks at thermometer, it reads 86 degrees*
smile_k_ani_32.gif

All the cuttings I got from you Max are all pitchering!

Hmmmm, right now it's 69 degrees with 65% humidity in downtown San Francisco. The bay area sure gets some wild variation in weather in just a few miles!

Good to hear about the cuttings! Did I give you burkeii x villosa? Is that pitchering? Pictures! Pictures at once! Incidentally, my vent x inermis opened its first pitcher yesterday. I'll get a pic up soon!

Capslock

yes, you gave me burkei x villosa. I have pitcher buds inflatin' as we speak!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
you gave me quite a few Neps... gotta go look and see which ones are starting to make pitchers
smile.gif

WOW, I think you guys saved my merrilliana !!! The plant is about 5" across and is in only a 6 inch pot I'm going to go get one of those deep arse gollan pots....
smile_k_ani_32.gif
confused.gif

ok I repotted my merilliana in a huge arse pot with 50% LFS ad 50% fine grade orchid mix. It looks kinda silly but I hope it will recover. I know it slow plant but its not budged in like two months so I hope it likes it's new home

Back