What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepnethes singalana gunung talakmau

Here's a pic of the aforementioned plant

Nepenthes%20singalana%20Gunung%20Talamau.jpg

The larger of the two pitchers here is about 7.5 cm, so it's still far from being a mature lower pitcher.

Comments?

TIA,

SJ

Well, my only comment is that's a cool looking pitcher!

Capslock

Here's my N. singalana from Wistuba:

Old small pitcher from last summer
singalana1.jpg

More recent pitcher from this spring or so
singalana4.jpg

Your plant (to me) looks like a very dark colored clone of N. singalana. Perhaps it's not pure?

From what I recall of seeing pics, N. izumiae is much thinner from about the bottom third towards the opening where it widens a bit.

I think it's the member Agustinfranco who has a verified N. izumiae cutting from Exotica, perhaps he'll chime in with some pics of his plant.

I have this clone of N. singalana from Wistuba also. As far as I know it is not N. izumiae.

Josh your N. singalana looks just like the other clone I have from Wistuba and more typical for the species.

Tony

WOW!

Hey Tony, (or anyone else growing N. singalana) do you have either of these N. singalana forms in an advanced age? Do your pitchers ever get as big as they are described in Clarkes Neps of Sumatra book?
My plant is begining to climb and make basal shoots but it's still only making 10-12 cm pitchers, not the 20-25 cm ones told of in the book.

I have had both N. singalana clones for some time but have not given them the space to really see what they can do so they are not producing anything near that size.

Hi Josh,

I have a similar clone of N. singalana and my about four years old plant also doesn't produce bigger pitchers than yours. The plant pictured in Clarke's N. of Sumatra is a very distinct form from what we grow and might not be typical for N. singalana.

Cheers Joachim

Hi all:

Here it is a photo of N. izumiae's pitcher.

Hi all:

Here it is a photo of N. izumiae's pitcher,
if it helps

N.izumiae.JPG

Augustín:

Thanks for the photo. Does this size pitcher have the hooked glandular crest on the lid that Clarke describes in his Sumatra book? The structure of the peristome of EP's/your plant seems to vary from the plants illustrated as sp. B., which is narrow and not sharply raised in the front.

Clearly, the variation in the Nepenthes singalana species complex is a bit confusing at this point.

Cheerio,

SJ

Hi stone Jaguar, the pitcher does have a hook underneath the lid. This plant's ancestor is from gunung talakmau. N. species B is found in Borneo and it is now called N. hurrelliana. the peristome of species B looks more like veitchii.

I think what we are encountering here and i am glad Josh pointed it out is that it is possible that there may be an izumiae X singalana hybrid in cultivation and it is mislabeled as N. singalana. Whether your plant is a hybrid or a pure species, remains to be clarified.

Gus

Augustín:

I was not referring to Clarke's Borneo book, but rather, the later book on the Neps of Sumatra and Malaysia. I don't have it at hand here in the office but I seem to recall that there are two (at that time) undescr. spp, also labelled "A" and "B". I think that "A" is now known as Nepenthes alpicola while "B" would be N. izumiae. In the body of the text discussing N singalana Clarke suggests the possibility that there are two or more spp. involved. This now appears to be the case.

It will be interesting to see how all these forms grow out.

Rgds,

SJ

Hi Stone Jaguar, thanks for the clarification. I get confused with A, B, C , and so on from different books. Yes species A is definitely N. alpicola, but species B, if you look at page 211 does look like N. izumiae but there are still some differences. the lid is flattened from the top of species Nova buttikingi while N. izumiae gunung talakmau has a convex lid with a groove in the middle when seen from top.

Pitchers with pointy peristome and black bottom lids!! like this

The lower portion of the peristome of N. izumiae (gunung talakmau) in older pitchers is  pointy in the centre, while this one in the picture does not look pointy at all. Actually if i left my imagination run free, the photos on page 211 do look like from a plant which have traits from both N. izumiae And N. singalana, but then again, i ain't Charles Clarke!

nepizumiae0001.jpg

Gus

My understanding is the plant pictured on page 211 matchs the description of N. izumiae.  Which is also how the insitu plant pictured on Wistuba looks.  Interestingly the upper pitchers on Wistuba while having a flat lid appear to not have a hooked crest. So perhaps it is a trait for only the lower pitchers? A while back there was some talk as to whether the plant Exotica has is indeed the same thing.  
Tony

Yes, Tony you are right. Whether this plant is another variety of izumiae, remains to be clarified. However, I do believe this plant is a pure species (previous photo) and not a hybrid. Unique traits in lid, peristome, etc.

Charles visited Geoff sometime last year and he confirmed this to be N. izumiae. (I forgot this little detail)

Gus
smile_m_32.gif

Back