What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes tissue cluture

Hi folks,

I just got my first tissue culture kit and I am experimenting with various plants. On the top of my list of plants I want to try is Nepenthes. I was wondering if any one had experience with nepenthes tissue culture and if so if they could email me with some advice or recipes.

thanks

Andre

i wouldnt try nepenthes becuase ive heard they have a natural symbyosis with a certain bacteria or fungus and is pretty hard to T/C
just my thoughts
Hellz

Probably want to start with seed and I know alot of people have been giving those away lately ;)

tissue culture kit?? I want one of those!!!
I was under the impression that TC was hella complicated and difficult...

/Quensel

hellz- where do you the majority of neps come from? almost all of them are straight from laboratories.

i think your thinking of orchid seed
smile.gif

and yeah, i want a home tc kit, too!

Nepenthes can only be grown in TC from seed. Once the plant starts growing it forms a symbiotic with some bacteria.

Peter

TC isnt difficult to do......its a pain to do w/o contamination. the process is quite simple though. just need everything completely sterile.

Rattler

Meristem culture has so far proven to be rather unsuccessful.
Seed is the best way to go.

Hi Peter,

It appears that the bacteria you mentioned might live within the seed according to: Nepenthes seed

Well, large laborotories start their Neps from seed. After theyve been growing a while, they can do meristem culture (theyve been in vitro all this time, no bacteria in the stem)

Correct me if I'm wrong
confused.gif

EDIT: scrap that theory, CPUK just corrected me

Another thing they do is start from seed, only the plants divide on their own, and they divide, and divide, etc etc... Till you get one of capslocks mutant monsters
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Thanks for all the info.

I think I will try from seed for now. I have ordered some from overseas and will keep every one updated with how it goes.

Back