What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friday nite foe toes

Here's some pics I took tonight

N. "Doorman's Top #2" plant is starting to climb now this is apparently the max pitcher size...?
It's got short fur all over the pitchers which makes it appear dull brown and shriveled when it's dry. I spilled water from a leaf above on this so it's red pattern underneath the fur is showing and makes the pitcher look kinda "bloody". I also got a pretty good pic of the teeth under the peristome
doormanstop4.jpg

doormanstop5.jpg

doormanstop6.jpg

doormanstop7.jpg

Here's the seed stalk from my aristolochioides x thorellii x Miranda hybrid, I'm so anxious!
dominuspod1.jpg

Here the highland chamber as of Sept, nice big rajah pitcher budding in the lower right corner
highland904.jpg

Here's my N. jacquelineae, I can never seem to photograph this one decently, maybe if it ever gets bigger! This pitcher is about and inch high
jacquelineae2.jpg

N. macfarlanei made this one without me noticing until today:
macfarlanei3.jpg

more....

N. Miranda upper pitcher
miranda4.jpg

miranda5.jpg

If the Mod Gods will allow me this sacrelige here's my Pleurothallis minutallis (miniature orchid), had it almost 2 years before I got to see these enormous blooms...:
pminutalis1.jpg

pminutalis2.jpg

pminutalis3.jpg

N. ramispina (intermediate)
ramispina8.jpg

N. sanguinea (orange) making an all green upper, I hope this one will flower soon, it's huge!
sanguineaorange3.jpg

Lastly for now is N. veitchii x truncata:
veitchxtrunc2.jpg

veitchxtrunc3.jpg

Hope you like them!
smile.gif

WOW! your chamber is awesome! i wish i could live in there!

very nice pics! Lokk at that Raja!!! Very Very Nice!

looks like you ran into the same problem I had... Need room for vines..

I think I have come up with a solution...
highlandchamber.jpg

Robin

Wow that's great Robin!

Looks like you're using a stand up shower stall? I've got the whole sit down tub & shower unit together in my ex-dining room for my large intermediate lowlanders. I'll try and post a pic of that setup soon. Big chambers are great but somehow, I always need even bigger!
smile.gif

I really like your N.truncata x veitchii that flared peristome is cool. Nice pics
smile.gif

Ex-dining room hehe
Looks like you need a nice sturdy pair of hedge clippers Josh.. or a machete for that more authentic feel.

T

Josh:

I think i has said this before, you have your own JUMANJI at home. Beautiful set up. I love the doormans top # 2, very unique and nice red colouration. Watching your plants is like having a favourite meal, until you find a fly in your soup with that pleurothalis photo. (just kidding)

rlhirst. Nice set up too, i wonder where do you take your showers since you modified this shower stall?. I hope the neps don't mind some soap!!

Gus

Machetes huh, well then how about these...

Borneo "parang"
bornsword1.jpg

bornsword2.jpg

Philippines Ifugo sword
philsword1.jpg

philsword2.jpg

(and they are sharp!)

Way cool pics and nice set-up, that flower head is starting to look good too! Sounds like it may have some great potential. Those swords are just scary looking. Nice to know you have some defense in case those Neps really start to take over.

How iron-ic(intentional pun) is it that someone named swords has a collection of swords?

Cheers,

Joe

I collect swords too. Not antique ones though.

Swords,
I don't want to hog your thread here, but does your dining room look like this??
lowland.jpg

Where did you get that Raja?!?! What did you do to it!?!? That is a showstopper!!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
  let me know if you ever want to trade cuttings..hehe

Robin

...Wonderful pictures as always Josh! Please post a pic of that new raja pitcher when it opens...looks like it will be unbelievable! Quick question: throughout the course of your raja's development, did you notice if pitchers that formed while resting on compost were larger than pitchers produced from dangling tendrils? Once again, great pics!

Tom

Hi Robin, no problem - I love seeing huge terrariums!
smile.gif

Yes, mine is similar to that except I don't have a bank of lights for the lower portion. I'm much too sloppy to be that daring. I just know I'd splash water all over those on the bottom and either electrocute myself or be replacing lights all the time! How do you avoid that?

I got that rajah as 2" seedling from our pal Tony P here in June of 2002. Now it's about 30" diameter. I wish the pitchers were bigger but perhaps when I can repot it (after buiklding a new HL chamber) it'll do better. There's some folks around here (Tony, Jeremiah...) who have six inch rajah pitchers (!!)and I'm jealous! Maybe this next one will be closer...
When I was growing the young rajah I used a "lot" of Gro More Urea Free orchid fertilizer, about one 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water flushed through the pot every 2-4 weeks. Once it made decent feedable sized pitchers I pretty much only use feeder crickets from the reptile shop. Occasionally I will mist all the plants with the orchid fertilizer just to be sure they're getting all their vitamins and minerals.

As far as pitcher size created as suspended vs resting on the ground much of that argument MIGHT be made that it is simply due to the higher humidity when the pitcher rests on a moist surface but I can't say for sure yet. From now on it'll be unavoidable that the rajah pitchers are resting on other plants so if the pitchers begin to be dramatically larger from now on then I'll know!

Josh,
Thanks for sharing your secret with me. I'm going to have to pick some of that stuff up!
I have tried GH hydroponic fertilizer sporadically(sp?). I have been reading Tony's post about slow release fertilizer.... That sounds very intriguing!  Hmmm. I guess the key is being consistant with feeding. I'm also going to show mine pictures of yours, Josh's, and Tony's as a motivation tool!
smile_n_32.gif

As far as the lights... they are "moistureproof" T-8's with a gasket and a clear shell. I spray water right on 'em with no problems, and I am really happy with them. They also double as heating units since that is my lowland tank.

Ok, I have to give my 2 cents on pitcher size suspended vs resting on the ground. I think it's as simple as gravity...If the plant does not have to support the pitcher(resting on ground), it get's much larger than one it has to hold up..... That, and the higher humidity!

Robin

RE: pitcher size
I also believe resting pitchers get bigger. Also if the tendril finds a place to rest before it gets long, the pitcher seems to be bigger. Although, there are really too many variables to be sure without some kind of controlled experiment.

Back