What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cantley's red

A bit late back to this thread.

Joe, Trent, we haven't yet dreamed up any name for that toothy guy. Something will spring to mind. Maybe just "Batman"
smile_n_32.gif
We're going to be very choosy about which items we are going to name, they will have to be quite unique, don't want to end up as subject matter for a thread on a discussion group somewhere!

Charles Clarke once told me of a guy who got himself thrown out of the Royal Entomological society. He had discovered a new species of beetle with a large shiny black carapice. He gave it the species name "darth vaderii". The Society apparently hated him for it but there was nothing much they could do!

Need to name the William's Red and the Tricolor as cultivars I guess but shall have to think of a better name than Tricolor as it's not really three colors and it's not imaginative enough. Any suggestions anyone?

Hey Rob,

Don't let a bunch of scientific wannabes put you off from registering your cultivars!  The system isn't designed for scientists but rather growers, and despite the Anti-Tamlin crowd's protests the ICBN system was designed by rational minds to protect this very fact, and the CPN co-editors support and encourage anyones use of the system, as it should be.  The Listserve is sophmoric and the self-imagined "dignitaries" to be found there should be firmly ignored for the loudmouthed trolls they are.  Also, the Listserve is NOT the ICPS; it is a mutual admiration society. The editors of the CPN will certainly publish your cultivars which we all enjoy so much.  

Just wait until I register Drosera 'Mattzanazz', sales will likely go through the roof!  I have lots of advance orders, hee hee!   Might even make the CPN cover considering the delightful time the coeditors there had with Matt regarding his own CPN publication.

The CPN is a wonderful Journal that continues to serve it's membership admirably, despite recent slurrs made by some high standing community members relative to their personal animosity towards me.  Don't let such folk call the shots by intimidating you. Neither the ICBN Reg's or the editor's review in the ICPN were in any way deficient, as was suggested. The system is a good and simple tool so all the fluff about histories, field dynamics, location data, morphometric concerns, color charts, genetic heritage are just that if they don't serve to communicate the distinguishing feature.  This can be done with a good photo and a few well chosen words, and is not the complex process that they would make it into.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Sep. 05 2004,7:40)]Actually its referred to as Cricket
smile_m_32.gif

i'd keep em in my greenhouse, propagate em, and distribute them
me too, well once i get my greenhouse this winter
smile.gif

Thanks for the info Tamiln, I haven't yet read the threads on the listserve, was planning on printing them out and collating them to see what can be learned. Didn't realise it had got so personal or that there had been animosity. There seems to be some blurring on the listserve at times between people who just want to enjoy their hobby and learn more and people who harbor academic grudges against one another.

I was planning on submitting something very simple to CPN, as you put it:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] This can be done with a good photo and a few well chosen words, and is not the complex process that they would make it into.
Sums it up really. I'll just be careful not to publish anything that is not definitely unique. Got a heap of stuff here now that has been selected carefully for various interesting characteristics.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Well, I hate to admit it Tamlin, but when you are right, you're right. I was definitely wrong when I maintained there really is no anti-Tamlin group(or anti- Matt group) , or Terraforums vs Listseve dividing line. I am definitely a "lets all get along" person, and I refused to believe it, but after the postings about cultivars on the listserve, I am inclined to believe you. Sorry I even doubted you. I am sad about it, as I am still in the middle and like both venues for information.
But back to the discussion at hand:
Rob, whatever you name the toothy amp, I love it. I don't see how anything from the listserve's discussion that you will be reading has any bearing on this. It is different than other spotted amps, and that is that.
You may have more problems with Tricolor. Between the three red amps you have(Cantley's, tricolor and Williams), there is a definite difference in the amount of red. The problem I see, is that some may just look at them all and say "They are all red amps-what's the deal?"
I guess it would be similiar to asking about a striped veitchii. There is quite a bit of variance in the striping, and also the color of the pitcher(gree to pinkish). If anyone remember's Ch'ien Lee's picture from the old Malesiana site, that is what I am personally looking for. But, they are all N. veitchii. Maybe this is a poor comparison, but this is how I see it.

Cheers,

Joe

hi Joe, Rob, Tamlin and all,

Some of the comments and opinions on "The Digest" have been eye-rollingly retentive, and generally we stay clear. However, some of these opinions do have some bearing on matters that concern us (Michelle and myself).
We plan to register several Nepenthes cultivars- and the reason is some of these plants are getting distributed around. They're mostly easy growers, and are selected plants from a grex that often included dozens of seedlings. They are the cream of the crop. Cultivars are for horticulture, as William stated. It's not a scientific description. If someone doesn't like your cultivar, then they don't have to buy, trade, swap for it. It's that simple. The "big boys" don't even bother with cultivar registration: ie. N. Gentle, N. Miranda.
I like the cultivar name Hamish came up with for ampullaria tricolor: N. 'Harlequin'. Very appropriate. BE's red amps such as 'William's Red' and tricolor are easily distinguished from the other red amps. But more importantly, they are being distributed within horticultural circles-so they are already recognised.
I could go on about all this cultivar...stuff, but simply don't have the time to get into it today...

Trent

I have to say that living in fear of what someone on the listserv might have to say about anything is really not my style, or the style of most. Who cares if someone there likes it or approves? EVeryone there is focused on Cultivar$. Soon there will be a judging authority made up with the likes of these professional snoots to say "yea" or "nay" to published cultivars and affix their seal of approval to any publications they deem "worthy". Then, you will need to kiss up - but for now there IS no such authority and I frankly hope it stays that way. Publication is the right of every author and I really think the community can judge what is desirable or not all on their very own!

Joe, Matt has put every public forum between the two of us, and now he's tried it with the ICPS as well. I can no longer post to the listserve or CP UK without persecution from him and his cronies. Their tactics would earn them a place on a Republical Election committee: repeat a lie enough times and it becomes true. What I CAN do is to continue to publish via Journals, and I will. I used to love the Listserv too and I know you have friends there. Just be careful not to offend the gods.

This is downright fascinating stuff.  It's wonderful to see the breadth of discussions on this forum.  There also seems to be sufficient self-restraint that the moderators seldom have to intervene.

I just recently rejoined the listserv after many years and  haven't read much on it so far.  Seems like it's a real free-for-all soap box to me, but perhaps that's not so bad if it keeps such people happy.  After all, you don't have to read it.

Hamish, Harlequin!  Like it!  like it!

I believe that in the orchid world, just a slightly different hue to the coloration warrants a cultivar name so long as it can be shown to be significantly different.  The first one we will probably try to publish is the William's Red.  I know I've posted this elsewhere on the forum before but looking at this:

amp_comparison.jpg

When compared to the red, I think William's Red can be described as "burgundy"  N'est ce pas?  My hand however, can probably best be described as "spook"...

Burgundy to be sure!

The nice thing about the ICBN Cultivar prerequisite for a real honest to god photo (unlike the prerequisites for publishing taxa at a higher level like species) really clarifies the published description very adequately. Thats the simple beauty of the system, what it looks like is what it is.

If you want to really nail a particular form as your own, look for something yours has that is unique, and not just color. Other growers in theory could produce your "William's Red", but identical plants would be unlikely. Yours will have something no other similar forms may have, an inevitable expression of individual variation. The trick is to be able to grasp that difference and be able to describe it. That way your name applies only to your own production of "William's Red". The color may not be enough to do this, but a consistent expression like the shape of the lid or length of the tendril very well might.

Wow that is quite burgundy!

Thanks Tamlin, really useful guidelines. There's one characteristic about the shape of the pitcher that differs from all the wild N. ampullaria I've ever seen and also all cultivated forms I've seen, except for the recently introduced red N. ampullaria forms which are actually from the same batch of seed but are unmistakeably different in coloration. Will be sure to refer to it.

See from todays postings on the listserv that the debate has only cooled to a dull red heat!

Back