What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowing nep seeds

Would you give em any special attention or just put them in your chamber like a normal nep and forgetaboutit (italian accent)?

laugh.gif
just wondering are you alltrade?

no, what happened was was that he came over my house and used my computer and got on TF, i posted without knowing he was still signed on, what about my question?

I think I would give them a little more attention, check and see if fungus hit them, ect. Most people that I have read, use a baggie or deli container to put the pot in and sow the seed.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Would you give em any special attention or just put them in your chamber like a normal nep and forgetaboutit (italian accent)?

Ok, ok, ok... OK! For all you non-New Yorkers...That's fuhgetaboudit.

I sow mine on chopped or milled LFS (quite moiste), and either cover the container of stick it in a baggie. I do leave some room for air circulation, otherwise I'm just beggin' for fungus & mold.

hey imma new yorker here, so you wanna get technical huh? its actually fuhgitaboudit*

git? no no no no....I'm married into an italian family... definately get, not git. Might depend on the family, though..... you know those dialects....

So, AE, a New Yorker....are you going to make it to the NECPS show in Oct. ?

I can't get N. mirabilis seeds to germinate if my life depended upon it. what else do I need besides moisture, media, window sill, 80+ degrees?

I'm originally from the Bronx and grew up on the Island. Grew up saying 'Flawrida' and 'Awrange' and 'cawfee'. Not to mention 'shaw' for sure and shore. But not anymaw.
smile_m_32.gif

hey guys im thinking of buying a new neps but, im not sure i can take care of them, if anything, in the winter, do you think i can put them in a terrarium with my capensis?

neps do go through dormancy, if thats what your saying

Jim,

A bit odd not being able to get mirabilis seed to germinate, it should be one of the easiest species of all. However, given the broad distribution, there is some variability in germination rates and conditions.

The only thing I can think of is that the seed may be too old. Mirabilis seed, when fresh, should germinate around 28 days after sowing.

how long would some ventricosa seeds take to germinate? How fast would it take for them to produce decent sized pitchers? (3 inches or more)

I can only talk about my experiences, but ventricosa seed sown as soon as it matured on the plant took just under 3 months to start germinating for me. 7 months later they have between 2-3 pitcher leaves, about 1 1/2 centimetres across. It takes about 3 years to get plants with pitchers of 3 inches or more under normal conditions (without playing God with hormones).

There are some pictures of 3 year old Nepenthes seedlings on the ICPS website.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Sep. 09 2004,4:19)]There are some pictures of 3 year old Nepenthes seedlings on the ICPS website.
Once again I have to re-post this:

I must really that I like the ICPS seedbank page BUT the nepenthes are all really on the small side. I grew some species from seed and used fertiliser on some of them leaving the rest without. All plants look much bigger than those on the ICPS webpage.

Of course it depends on the species, soil, light and so on but I think with some care and good conditions you will see typical pitchers of most nepenthes after 3 years. My 1,5 year old N. alatas look bigger than those 3 year old N. ventricosas on that webpage!!!

Even the rare highland species show adult pitchers after 3-4 years (if kept in the right cool conditions).

Jan

Jan, I agree that the ICPS pictures look smaller than younger seedlings that I have, but some species do vary. Fertilising can be beneficial, but it can occasionally prove fatal even in small doses with some species, so I'd be hesitant to recommend to a beginner to fertiliser seedlings, especially very small ones. I know of one grower who get seedlings to flowering size plants in several years by cheating with hormones and fertilisers, but I would not recommend this to others (hey, I'm a purist). One of the best traits you can have as a Nepenthes grower is patience
smile_m_32.gif

Yes you are right. But even those plants I left without fertiliser are much bigger than those on the ICPS webpage. Perhaps my growing area is better, and I would not recommend someone the pictures on the ICPS seedbank webpage to show the size of a 3 year old Nepenthes seedling.

Good growing,
Jan

Back