What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air circulation, drying up pitchers

Would too much air circulation dry up nep pitchers? mine are kinda dry and im wondering if its because of that

Circulation is actually a beneficial thing. The drying out would be caused by a lack of humidity most likely.

Are they recent plants or plants that you have had for a while and were previously growing fine?
It would help too if you could provide plant information and environmental conditions the plant is in.

I would agree it's a change/drop in humidity over what the plant was used to when the pitchers formed. Or the plant dried out too much and some damage is now showing.
Tony

recent plants, just got em about 2 weeks ago and these are the first pitchers its produced since i've owned the plant. its in a 30 gallon tank that has 2 really big cpu fans. its 24 inches wide and the 2 fans blow air from the top to the bottom. the leaves of the neps are always swaying. all the plants in there are recent, currently it houses a n. isamo kusakobe, n. coccinea "red", n. ventrata, n. gracilis, and sowing a pot of seeds in it. the only things with pitchers are the gracilis, coccinea and isamokusakobe. they've each put out about 3 new leaves each. 1 new pitcher on each has opened (2 on the gracilis... go figure) and they are all fairly dry. Humidity is very high, around 75 in the daytime and 85-90 at night. temperatures are around 90 in the daytime and around 70 at night

Given that they're growing in a tank, it shouldn't be a problem with humidity. Even if the airflow is strong, provided the humidity is high, it shouldn't be a problem. It could just be the shock. Nepenthes aren't fans of having their roots disturbed, and can react badly to shipping and repotting. It may be an idea to bring the airflow down a bit. You just need to be patient and wait for the plants to settle in.

yeah mr.i need like 4 fans in my tank!
biggrin.gif
somtimes you should my advice buddy
smile_m_32.gif
and guys he's just paranoid, his neps look great..

Back