What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone with a large veitchii?

ok i was checking on my cutting and noticed something. at the leaf nodes there appears to be alil leaf developing but could just be a lil stem. being that it appears to be on every leaf node and i was told this species is slow to strike. is this lil stem thinggy just a charecteristic of the species? the leaves of my plant are about 9 inches long and 6 wide so its a good sized vine.

Rattler

Some species have a little hook-like appendage growing slightly above the leaf axil. I have no idea what it's called (maybe someone more knowledgeable like Jeff Shafer or Tony Paroubek could answer this one). It sounds like this is what you are referring to. When a leaf node starts to swell, it's very obvious. You should see action with your veitchii in a month or two weeks, they take a bit longer than most to root, but are not terribly difficult to grow from cuttings.

yeah thats about what it looks like. sorry for the poor description but had two 12 hour work days in a row and wasnt thinking as clearly as i thought i was.

Rattler

It might have something to do with being in brighter light than when it was in the somewhat dark OL greenhouse.
However, for seemingly no reason the N. hamata sprouted at almost every node along it's main stem once it got to about 2 feet long. Perhaps the climbing stems of N. veitchii are prone to this rapid vining as well since it's also a climbing species?

Back